cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sterling amethyst bracelet

I am listing this for my friend and need help with the metal.

It is stamped 925 and is a goldtone color. How do you describe that?

Also, what should I call the stones? He doesn;t  know if they are real amethyst.

DSCI7727.JPG  

TEX
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

That is referred to as Vermeil 

http://www.ebay.com/gds/What-Is-Gold-Vermeil-/10000000175170947/g.html

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Thank you Sarah. 

TEX
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

The stone looks exactly like amethyst to me, and I've handled quite a bit. But it could also be crystal or glass. Look closely at the stones. If there are any noticeable imperfections than they are almost definitely amethyst. These are called inclusions and are common to quartz, especially amethyst. It is unlikely to be any other kind of natural stone as purple is very rare with the exception of amethyst. Other possibilities are crystal or glass which would look perfect under magnification. Almost all amethyst is heated so it is unlikely to be natural, but probably 'genuine'. Calling it genuine amethyst, assuming it is indeed stone, would be the proper title.
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Ok, thanks so much Dafeldo. I will have my friend look with a loupe. Will a 10x mag show the inclusions?

I think I strained my eye looking at something last week. LOL

TEX
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

10x should be strong enough. Often amethyst has inclusions that can be seen with no magnification, but real high quality eye clean stone does exist. Best of luck!
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Thanks again, Dafeldo.

TEX
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Tex, if you want, I can test it for you, I have tested pieces for boardies before. You would send it to me, I will test it and mail it back the same day. If you feel comfortable with that send me a message and I will send you my address 🙂
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

The silver tarnish on your silver is not unusual, but, of course having it tested is a good idea. Often a silver item if it has been been cleaned in the many liquids available and the aluminium and the usual house hold cleaner mixtures,. this will happen as many people will then rinse silver in very hot water . The very hot water caused an oxidisation on cooling. giving the silver a gold finish. 

I have made this mistake even when I have taken out an item from the well ladend (much used late in the day) rouged water. Very hot near boiling water shouldn't be used on stone set items anyway of course. We just have a zip or large heating system that is on the edge of boiling heating all the time,  or use a steam cleaner often on production or gold products.Steam cleaners will also do this to silver . Charm.

Charm Affair or Charm
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Marie, you're a peach.heart

I'll ask my friend what he want to do.

But, I forgot to send you my crystal necklace you offered to test before.

D'oh.....May I send that to you on Saturday?

TEX
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Charm....thank you for all that information.  I did try looking at the stones with the loupe but I did strain my eye

a few days ago looking thru the loupe and I was starting to get a headache. So, my friend will have to look it over.

TEX
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Sure Tex, no problem, do you still have my address?
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Thanks, Marie.

I sent you a message.

TEX
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

That sure looks like a Sterling silver vermile Amethyst bracelet to me.. Very beautiful!!!

Message 14 of 14
latest reply