cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second Opinion

My husbands aunt called me wanting help with her mothers Sterling and Blue topaz jewelry. I told her she could send me a photo and I would try but I don't know much about fine jewelry her one photo is really bad....

20140920_211928.jpg

20140920_213638.jpg

I told her they are rhinestones.....she explained that her mother only wore authentic real jewelry. Am I wrong....I told her she should take it to her local pawn shop for a closure look.....To me I see a married rhinestone set.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Second Opinion

Looks like vintage costume jewelry to me also.
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Second Opinion

Thanks, she was pretty upset with me when I told her what I thought they were, I know I have been outta the loop for a few months since my mom got sick..But looks like costume rhinestone jewelry to me. But she is insistant on them being sterling and real topaz. So I suggested a local pawn shop they can test the metal for her and the stones....Personally I wish I was there when she goesSmiley Frustrated

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Second Opinion

I too vote for vintage rhinestones.  Yeppers, sometime being a fly on the wall would be a good thing.  With my luck, someone would pull out the fly swatter.  Smiley LOL

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Second Opinion

I also see Costume. I would think if these were Silver and genuine Topaz the Clasps would be better quality.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Second Opinion

Same here.  Those are fairly standard rhinestone pieces.  The settings are all wrong for precious metal or real stones. 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Second Opinion

Thanks Everyone, Late last night I followed up with her via email:

Well the answer is still the same, in my opinion its costume rhinestone jewelry. I’m thinking it is a married set based on the variations in the pieces. The clip have chaton, marquis and square. Bracelet is chaton and the necklace is chaton in two sizes. I see rhinestones all day and typically sets will all have the same stones showing consistency . I have sent an example to show you so you can see what I mean. I know that’s not what you want to hear and like I said you should take it to your local pawn shop a picture can only tell so much. I would say at this point probably a medium grade maker on the necklace and bracelet the earring could be of more value but I couldn’t say for sure. If you look through this site you will see what I mean about them not being an original set. The necklace and bracelet was probably a set but the earrings were definitely married in....Hope you get a better answer from the pawn shop....

The response I got from her was this

This was not a married set she got this afterwards she wore pearls for her wedding , she gotten this for a bday gift since this was in her month, and no they r not rhinestones, can't b, but appreciate all u have done girl,anything else I come across I will get ahold of u, thank u again

Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Second Opinion

58630_555951291107279_1722483702_n.jpg

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Second Opinion

Oh well, I often run across people who either think their mediocre costume jewelry is "the best", or their costume is gold and diamonds. What scares me is people who think all costume is junk so they toss it!!!!!!

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Second Opinion

It's possible it was all given to her at one time tho, which would make someone think it's a set! LOL

I don't think its 'real' but If there was any doubt i'd take it to a pawn shop or somewhere and have them check for sure!

Hot freight...pays good...Inline's gots ta go...whoop & ride, Honey, whoop & ride...Clark T Berendes 2-5-78 to 7-5-10
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Second Opinion

The response I got from her was this

This was not a married set she got this afterwards she wore pearls for her wedding , she gotten this for a bday gift since this was in her month, and no they r not rhinestones, can't b, but appreciate all u have done girl,anything else I come across I will get ahold of u, thank u again

Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

It looks like she does not understand what a married set is Smiley Frustrated

Being as convicted in her opinion, as she is, I doubt even a Gemologist would convince her otherwise.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Second Opinion

She thinks I lost my marbles......Hopefully I can mend the hole in my bagSmiley Tongue

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Second Opinion

I know I've lost mine - it's beyond question. She's going to need a GIA report before she believes what we're saying.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Second Opinion

@hoss640 wrote:

She thinks I lost my marbles......Hopefully I can mend the hole in my bagSmiley Tongue

Smiley LOL

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Second Opinion

It is a nice set, however you are correct in thinking costume and not fine jewelry.. Most fine jewelry has open back , no matter how small the stones are.  That is all set in cubs. Nice set .

Message 15 of 16
latest reply