cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scarab beads?

Hi,

I have this necklace that the owner swears are scarab beads.  I have never heard of scarabs other than the bugs in the deserts, and things carved to look like that.  These to me look and feel like coral, but..I don't honestly know much about them.  Any help would be great!  Thanks so much!

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Scarab beads?

Google 'scarab beads'.

Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Scarab beads?

I have..and can't find anything but carved beas that look like the scarab beetles..

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Scarab beads?

I wonder if someone has switched the box. If either one has any age to them, the box may have been repurposed to protect the new necklace.

I ran scarab beads, scarab coral and scarab head jewelry through google. All I got was carved jewelry or molded scarabs. No beads of any kind.

Would you be able to get us a closeup picture of the beads? Especially any imperfections.
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Scarab beads?

I will be picking it up Thursday..I had a bunch of stuff I brought home from her house and forgot them, so all I have is the photo currently.  I think the box was switched as well, it appears to be a bracelet box.  It was given to her by "someone in the jewelry trade" who told her it was a scarab necklace.  I think she was told wrong..but I need to know before I tell her anything.  

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Scarab beads?

I think you are both correct in thinking that the box has been repurposed to hold the necklace. It looks like a bracelet box, very similar to these listing 1 and listing 2

As far as the beads themselves go, the beads could be white coral. The variations in color look like it could be. But, that is something that you will have to do in person, it is hard to identify stuff like that in pictures sometimes. 

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Scarab beads?

I would just pick up the necklace and say nothing. You were obviously in accord over price paid and sometimes people just don't want to hear they are wrong. Why spoil an agreeable transaction and perhaps deter any referrals she may send your way.
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Scarab beads?

That looks like an angel skin coral necklace in a box it did not originally come in
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Scarab beads?

Seconded. Angel skin coral is my best guess too.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Scarab beads?

I'm just selling it for her.  Its my best friend's mom, they want to move and are hoarders of a kind..so it will take a long time to get their stuff sold for them.  So I have to listen to her, and show her what things are worth and what they really are.  🙂

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Scarab beads?

@dracoskip good luck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Scarab beads?

Gotcha...in this case it would be to her advantage if you photocopied pictures of Angel Skin Coral beads and Scarab bracelets for comparison and point out that the case is designed for a bracelet.

Maybe as she clears the hoard, the original bracelet may show up.  Good Luck.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Scarab beads?

Just picke it up yesterday... here are a few more pics...

still thinking coral..  

just checking if I'm right...   🙂

Thanks again!!!!!

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Scarab beads?

Um, where are the scarabs? Usually they are regular cabochons etched to appear like little bugs.  Those are just plain old graduated (possibly marble) beads.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Scarab beads?

I am also thinking that is some other jewelery's box.  I sometimes ship sterling bracelets in old pearl necklace boxes but that dont make them pearls...

Message 15 of 17
latest reply