cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rostov Finist Jewelry

Today, I visited a personal friend of mine at the jewelry shop he owns.  I'd gone in there to get a wedding set repaired and to replace its faux stone with an emerald.  A planned 30-minute visit turned into a 4.25 hour visit and lunch.  *grin*

When I visit, I often bring jewelry which I find interesting and unique.  It's a thing we have, this gawking and talking about jewelry and gems.  Sometimes, I consign some of his older stock on venues to get it moved out (more of that in another post).  He knows many things I don't in regards to fine jewelry, and my wealth of knowledge in costume jewelry often comes into play when I look at things that have been brought to him.

Today, he gave me a gift:  several pieces of Rostov finist jewelry.  The bracelet has no assay marks, but the earrings do have an assay mark.  All are lovely.  They were given to me as a blessing, and I'll be quite honest:  I'm in love with these pieces.

If anyone can tell me anything about this type of jewelry or can translate the tag, I'd greatly appreciate it.  All of the pieces have the original Russian tags.

Thanks!

IMG_2076.JPG

IMG_2069.JPG

"One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane." ~Nicola Tesla
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Rostov Finist Jewelry

very pretty! Are they hand painted?

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Rostov Finist Jewelry

Rostov Finift (Enamel)

The traditional Russian art form of painting on enamel (often on jewelry - brooches, rings, earrings). Had its origin in Rostov in the 18th century when artists first painted small icons for the church.

http://www.russia-ukraine-travel.com/russian-culture.html

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Rostov Finist Jewelry

I found the information pasted below (or is it above). I do like enamel. In going to sales I've come across similar enamel pieces and always wondered what they were called and where they came from. So it's Rostov Finift and is Russian.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Rostov Finist Jewelry

Hi Thorns, my husband studied Russian years ago and I got him to look at this tag this morning. The translation basically confirms what has been posted here ...it says: 'National Artistic Industry" and  "Rostov Finift Factory" . 

They are lovely!

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Rostov Finist Jewelry

What gorgeous eye candy to start the day with! Simply beautiful!!!!!!!

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Rostov Finist Jewelry

Very nice! I love hand painted jewelry.0

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Rostov Finist Jewelry

Very pretty.  I too have always enjoyed the Russian hand painted items.  I especially like the black lacquered brooches and the nesting dolls.  Thanks for sharing.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Rostov Finist Jewelry

Absolutely love that bracelet!

Carolyn

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Rostov Finist Jewelry

@arlene_v wrote:

Hi Thorns, my husband studied Russian years ago and I got him to look at this tag this morning. The translation basically confirms what has been posted here ...it says: 'National Artistic Industry" and  "Rostov Finift Factory" . 

They are lovely!

финифть (Finift') translates to "Enamel." So, Rostov Enamel Factory.

Fig

----------
Current avatar: Actress Myrna Loy.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply