cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem: beads strung too tightly

I have several necklaces that are strung so tightly they're almost stiff and don't lay properly.  Is there any kind of quick fix besides re-stringing, at which I would fail miserably?   I believe they are strung on nylon.  Thanks for suggestions!

sabrinabeads1.jpg

tigerbeads1.jpg

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Restringing and adding spacer beads for some additional slack is the best option. A second option would be to add some chan as an extender to the clasp. This will create more slack and may help it lay better. I've had success with this in the past when I didn't want to restring.
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

I`m thinking (and it`s early in the morning mind you)  that over the years, the stringing material tends to shrink causing this wonkiness.   A re-string is the best remedy. 

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Agree with 1940c. The culprit in these shrunken necklaces is usually nylon monofilament, and that stuff not only shrinks with age, it gets brittle and breaks. Restring.

flotsamlogo
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Thanks for your replies.  I was hoping to read that all I had to do was snap my fingers, turn around 3 times and the necklace would magically expand Smiley Very Happy.  Deep down I knew the answer would be to re-string.  Since I'm all thumbs, they'll have to be listed as is with hopes the buyer is more gifted than me!

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Snap your fingers ....too funny !
I was watching this thread closely because I have a similliar problem with a necklace I think is strung on thread , or maybe waxed thread ?
I was hoping we could soak them in something magic !
Just thought I would post pictures here incase anyone had any thoughts on mine ? Hope you don't mind me sneaking into your thread . Thank you !
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Those are on cord and weren't knotted correctly. I don't think they're old enough that the cord could have shrunk, unlike the OP's. Those clear nylon cords shrink and then eventually break. I generally restring them in the interests of safety. Cotton corded stuff too; it doesn't shrink, it just rots.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Even if we don't have the same problem, misery loves company, mermaid Smiley Happy.  Your beads are very pretty and I hope you have more skill than me!

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

There's a little book called The Basics of Bead Stringing by Debbie Kanan that can help. Belle_dame recommended it to me when I had a bunch of necklaces to restring.

flotsamlogo
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Since we are talking about restringing I have a question.  Since the monofilament strings tend to shrink and get brittle, would you restring on cotton thread or restring again on monofilament?  I too have a couple of necklaces that have shrunk, but have been holding off restringing because I just couldn't make up my mind what to use when restringing the pieces.  TIA for your input.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Maybe if you ware them in a hot steammy shower ? Don't let the water touch them 🙂 I will get a necklace out and try it.. Will let you know 🙂

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Hmmmm..IF I knew how to restring (which I don`t  lol) I`d be more inclined to go with the cotton.

No particular reason why..just seems like I`d  be more comfortable working with it and seems like it would produce a better 'movement' if that makes sense? 

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

I wonder if I chose to restring on cotton without knotting in between if that would work OK . Hmmmm what was that book called ?
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Mermaid, Your necklace would  also look lovely with spacer beads vs the knots..mho of course Cat Very Happy

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Hey , great idea ! What color do you envision ?
Message 15 of 16
latest reply