cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions Needed ... Iris or Orchid?

I have found two different examples of this lovely Carolee flower.  One describes it as an orchid and one as an iris.  What are your thoughts?  TIA

SB4291.jpg

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

That beauty looks identical to a Dutch Iris bloom. Most, but not all, Orchid blooms are rounded. Most, but not all, Iris blooms are shaped like this piece. Clear as mud, huh? Smiley Frustrated

Diane

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Diane, I see what you mean.  Iris it is, thanks.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Although this beauty is lacking it's pistil which would make it easier to identify .....I agree with Diane , looks more like an Iris than an orchid . My mom grows bearded irises in her garden and the shape and drape of the petals is identical .
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I have had Bearded Iris in my garden that were those colors 🙂
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

yep, Iris. I belive that is what they call the beardless iris.

My dad and my gramma (RIP) had a millons of them at their peak 🙂 

Now dad has daylilys in additon to the iris.

yes, the green thumb of my grammas (more like arm) runs right down from her, to dad, to me. Gramma could plant a rock and it would grow. My dad's getting there...it does take time 🙂 I'm no where near that, yet!

Hot freight...pays good...Inline's gots ta go...whoop & ride, Honey, whoop & ride...Clark T Berendes 2-5-78 to 7-5-10
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I think the rows of rhinestones are meant to simulate the (fuzzy) beards? My Iris came from my Grandma who had a major green thumb.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Ah, I see the rhinestones on upward facing petals too 😞
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Thank you all for your input.  Iris it is.  My grandmother had the huge Irises when I was a little girl.  Her's were mostly white.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply