latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Not Exactly OT: Some Really Antique Jewelry

How THRILLING!!!

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Really neat treasure!

Never really thought about the origin of the name "Bluetooth". Interesting!

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Whoa!! Mercy
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

they realised that it was a shimmering piece of silver

SHIMMERING? Seriously? After nearly a thousand years?  I cant keep the tarnish off for a week!

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@rixstuff wrote:

they realised that it was a shimmering piece of silver

SHIMMERING? Seriously? After nearly a thousand years?  I cant keep the tarnish off for a week!

If it was buried, the silver wouldn't tarnish.

I can only dream and fantisize about finds like that.

And, yes, very interesting about the name Bluetooth.  I always thought it was inspired by White Fang and Black Tooth - Soupy Sales' sidekicks:)

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Great story!

And we read about it because it so rarely happens.

Lucky finders!!

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Haven't thought about Soupy Sales in eons!

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

I remember Soupy Sales so well. He was a hoot. I used to watch him after (high) school. Even my mom liked him.

Soupy Sales and a treasure trove from antiquity, what a conncetion. stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Huh! I hadn't thought of it either - nor did I think of runes in connection with the symbol, though now that I look I can definitely see it.

flotsamlogo
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

I've been a metal detectorist for almost 40 years and have had over 200 articles published for the magazine I write for and have been on 5 covers.  Over the years, I've seen some fantastic treasure unearthed and have made some pretty exiting finds myself, although not of the hoard caliber they find in Europe.   To say it's been a fun and interesting hobby would be an understatement.  Here are my magazine covers:

westitched1.jpg

westitched2.jpg

w&e5.jpg

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

I wish there were more photos of what they've found, especially of the pearls.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

I am very impressed dream-peddler!

That sounds like a very rewarding hobby - both in fun doing it and in making great finds.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Wow Dream, you're famous!!!

I referred somebody from the Board to your Guide about a month ago, but I don't remember who it was. Oh well! The only thing I found with my detector (besides bottle caps) was a grubby old quarter -- but not significantly old enough to be interesting, and not much as pocket change 😉  Some guys I went to high school with in Atlanta would spend Sundays combing isolated Confederate battlegrounds for bullets and buttons and so on. I had visions of finding lost jewelry (always!) in the sand along the beach. Poor ol' detector died before I had a chance to do very much with it.

Good on you for having spent so much time doing your detecting thing and finding fame and fortune 🙂

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Thanks, pheasantville!  You are right on both counts, and while European finds are exciting, I find American finds so much more so.  When you consider our country is only several hundred years old as compared to several thousand, anything truly old found here is amazing.  I've seen treasure found and heard stories that have left me speechless.  Mel Fisher is one of my all-time heroes, and if those guys don't find the Oak Island treasure, I'm personally going up there and find it for them!  LOL!

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 15 of 16
latest reply