cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Name for the glass in these cufflinks

I know there is a name for this glass--thought dichroic but really doesn't look like what they are showing as images of it. Help please!

IMG_2410.JPGIMG_2409.JPG

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Rainbow topaz. It's a manmade stone - has a very thin titanium coating on the back. I have an enormous one that hubby bought me, as well as a few in jewelry. Beautiful colors!

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Thanks so much, would have never gotten that!!

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I forgot, but it is also referred to as "mystic" topaz.  Whichever you think sounds better, LOL. It is beautiful, for sure. The stone hubby got me is a radiant cut stone about 4" across. Got it for me for a paperweight. The colors are incredible. I know it's a fab fake, but gorgeous nevertheless.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Awesome! Reminds me of kaleidescopes

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Beautiful rhinestones, hertz. Do you know if they are considered "invisibly set"? I can see the border of large dogtooth (?) or fancy (?) prongs, can't miss those, but within the circle formed by the rhinestones, the side seams look invisibly set, to me. No side or bottom prongs. If not, I wonder if this type of setting has a name other than "circle" for shape?

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I have many mystic topaz but that isnt one.  A mystic topaz is an actual topaz (natural or lab created) that has been subjected to gas and heat to get the rainbow effect on the surface.  I have seen glass like that in Italy but I have to vote for glass vs. stone of any kind.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Nope, just regular bezel set only with a fancy decorative bezel (the little collar the holds the stone in).  Would it not be borealis?

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I believe the color is Swarovski volcano, similar to the Vitrail dark color but more vivid.  The color on this stone comes from the finish on the back of clear glass.  This is known as a fancy cut rhinestone.  The closest thing I could come up with as far as a shape name was a Swarovski bead named Clover and it's article 5752.  Pretty cufflinks.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Thanks rix, for nudging me in the right direction. I enlarged the photos which made the crevices between the rhinestones look sharper. Now I can actually see what you mean. Now that I'm seeing metal between the stones, I have changed my opinion. I believe the rhinestones are collet set (a band or collar of metal enclosing a stone), rather than bezel set (a band of metal with top edges burnished over the stone to hold it in place). 

Good information Sandy. You answered some questions I didn't even know I had. Thanks.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply