cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mystery stones help please :-)

Hi Joolies Smiley Happy

I have a ring and a pin I need help with, the stones are a mystery. First is a silver pin a friend gave me, she said it was her mother’s, I think would be vintage Arts and Crafts. I can’t figure out the stones, tooth tap feels like stone but I am wondering if they are ceramic. I tried scratching the back of the large one but I didn’t see anything to help.

SSGreenStnFt.jpg

SSGreenStnBk.jpg

SSGreenStnCU1.jpg

SSGreenStnCU2.jpg

Next is a gold ring with a mystery stone. The color is a a slightly gray greenish blue. It tests on my gem tester in the Spinel range. This also came from my friend, she said a friend got the loose stone in Israel and gave it to her. My friend had the ring made but it was so long ago she can’t remember what it is. Do you think it’ may be a spinel?

As always, thanks for any help heart

GoldRingSide.jpg

GoldRingFt.jpg

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I like the pin very much. When I was in grammer school, I had a crush on a classmate that collected rocks. We would dig them out of the dirt-so much fun! The middle one reminds me of the ones we used to find.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

The pin is green turquoise. I say yes on spinel on the ring, every spinel with some age or heavy wear I have had has shown the wear marks like this one does.

An umbrella and a mind have a lot in common, they both function better when open.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I agree with CAV on the green turquoise . That is the first thing that came to my mind . My grandma always loved green turquoise . 😊 

Not sure on the second one , but boy that setting is unique . Is it me or is it a little off kilter ? Just a smidge asymmetrical . 

Mermaid 🐳

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

The pin is turquoise for sure; it looks older than dirt too - probably real Arts and Crafts era instead of a later copy. It takes a while for turquoise to turn that color. The ring...dunno. Spinel is as good a guess as any. I'd give either one house room, no questions asked.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Marie, you tested a similar ring for me that turned out to be blue spinel. Looked similar, anyway.

Love the pin!

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Remember spinels are usually double refractive. Charm
Charm Affair or Charm
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

The stone is set at an angle in the ring, that's why it looks off kilter Smiley Happy

I never would have guessed green turquoise, thanks everyone! I'm off to Google.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I think it started out blue. Turquoise oxidizes, especially if it's really humid or has something like hand lotion applied to it. Turquoise is colored by copper, and when wet it patinates green. Some of it does start out naturally greenish though.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 9 of 9
latest reply