cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mystery pin - where did they use this clasp?

frontfrontblackblack

I'm not going to bother asking who, just where and when?  I could swear I've seen that clasp before, but don't know where.  The silver content rules out the US, and the lack of marks more or less rules out Mexico.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Maybe kilt-style pin?

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I have been trying to remember what the pin assembly reminds me of. I think it might be Chinese. I have some lightweight enamelled Panda Pins with similar pins. Will see if I can find an example listed.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Do the Chinese work in 950 silver? I don't recall seeing any before.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

When I think 950 Silver and Inlay like this I think Mexico but not this pinback. Here is a list that shows Silver Standard by Country:

http://www.925-1000.com/a_Standards.html

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I doubt the Chinese work in 950 but that's a guess on my part.  They simply take a 925 shank and attach it to a ring, poorly at that. Here is an example of their fine work in sterling. I keep this ring to remind myself to never, ever buy from them again.  Sorry for the sideways pic.  I don't see the rotate function. 

IMG_1421.JPG

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Maybe have a look at this link.  https://www.realorrepro.com/article/Dating-brooch-fasteners

Minsatisstuff Hodgepodge Collection
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

The clasp is a modified "safety pin" clasp going back at least 50 years. It's been in Lapidary Journal,Gems and Minerals(Jewelry Making) issues,college text books,etc.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply