cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mark Help. Colonial Williamsburg? Charles Winston? Is it even CW?

So I did a bit of research on this mark, assuming it reads CW, and I once again need help. The internet seems to be conflicted between Colonial Williamsburg, and Charles Winston. But when I look up their marks, they don't look like this one. This one is more cursive like. 

Does this say CW? And if so, any clues? I can provide a picture of the piece if that would help. 

Happy 4th, everyone! And thanks as always for the help.

cw.JPG

cw2.jpg

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

If it is Colonial Williamsburg - and I doubt it because all they produce is tourist stuff (remember this is a theme park in VA centered around about 9 blocks of historic buildings) so it would be costume at best.  And after having our honemoon there, I've never seen anything marked like that... however, that does not mean it's not possible.

It would be helpful if there were more details - like size and weight and a front picture.Do you know what the metal is? Or what the stone is?

Your best to hope for IMO would be that was a hand made, OOAK piece by someone wealthy enough at the time (Victorian or Civil War era perhaps) to have it custom made by a jeweler and who had the intended ladies (gift) initials pressed into the metal as a sign of ownership. 

I wish you well in your discoveries.

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

It is sterling with marcasite. I'll take some pictures of the piece today to see if that helps 🙂

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Thanks. Smiley Happy

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I'm sorry. Today got hectic. I'll have the pictures tomorrow. Thank you for your willingness to help.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I think this is a MC mark for Marsala,,,the C is backwards:

http://www.illusionjewels.com/costumejewelrymarksm.html

You can't fix crazy but you sure can document it.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Thank you. I'll check on that. I have the pictures taken but I need to upload them still. Got a late start today. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

spinner.jpg

Here is the piece. Got some missing marcasites that I plan to replace, I'll probably also find a sterling chain and add it or just remove the keychain part (I don't think it's original to it), and the middle part spins revealing different gemstones.

Does this help ID it?

EDIT: Bucks4buddy: wow! I think you may be right. I'll do some gogling of their work and see if the shoe fits. Thank you!
EDIT again: Yup. Looks like Marsala did quite a bit of marcasite pieces. Thank you again!

Message 8 of 8
latest reply