cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large NA (?) cuff with a strange stone, any ideas ?

I have no idea what this large stone is in this Native American cuff bracelet. In hand it's a dark mottled red/brown/black with turquoise flecks. 

Does anyone recognize the artist mark ? I've looked in all the usual NA artist mark sites.

Thanks for any help.

na1.jpg

na2.jpg

na3.jpg

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Sorry no help with the sig, but I'm thinking the stone might be turquoise in matrix.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Thank you Volemus, would that be called Boulder Turquoise ?

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

There are many different types of Turquoise that run through a Matrix ( or host ) like this . I have seen Bisbee turquoise from Arizona have a reddish brown matrix . The mottling of black and the lighter color is throwing me though . Off to research a little . Love the leaves and flowers setting ! 

Mermaid 🐳

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Thank you Mermaid, I am seeing some similar stones called Smokey Bisbee Boulder Turquoise in an image search, so maybe that ?

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Sure does look like it !

Also look up Arizona Smoky Bisbee Turquoise . 

Mermaid 🐳

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

I just looked into Boulder Turquoise . For some reason I keep thinking of Boulder Colorado or a Boulder ( large stone ) . I guess Boulder Turquoise is a style of natural Turquoise that is real popular right now . Usually the turquoise is in strips which make some people refer to it as Ribbon turquoise .

If I remember correctly it's caused by heavy rain or snow , oops I'm going to have to look that up again , LOL ! Anyhow , most examples I see have larger strips of turquoise running through them and the gem cutters usually cut the stone to enhance this effect . Most have a very different look than yours . Yours is almost speckled . 

I would stick to ( some kind of / Arizona Bisbee maybe ? ) Turquoise in Matrix . 

Mermaid 🐳

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Ok let me try that again ...

Boulder turquoise is fine veins of turquoise that have formed in small cracks of the host rock where the sedimentary minerals have gathered . In other words rain , snow , and atmospheric moisture washed heavy metals into voids below the surface of the earth . As millions of years go by these minerals evolve into what we now know as Boulder or Ribbon Turquoise .  PHEW ! 

Veddy interesting .

Mermaid 🐳

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Wow I bet she did . Do you think she meant Bisbee instead of Brisbee ? I can't wait to hear if she learned who's mark it was . Peach o Peach where are you ? 

Mermaid 🐳

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

I just wanted to add that the piece Peach had was marked with a marker 'Bisbee' so maybe I'll contact her and have her stop by this thread.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

I just messaged her so hopefully she'll stop by. 

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Great !

I'm so curious . If not tonight , I know she usually on the boards in the mornings . 

Mermaid 🐳

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Sorry, but I don't know about and have not had anything like your pretty piece.  I will have DH look at it when he gets home as he buys a lot of NA pieces.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Thank you Peach. heart So the piece you're talking about in the linked thread above didn't have the same mark as mine ?

Message 15 of 18
latest reply