cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jumping through hoops ...

So here is my question:

Is it better to scrap a pair of hoop earrings (10k, 5 grams) or see if there is a market for them online?

I am selling elsewhere (the other E), but seriously doubt they would sell there ... thinking of maybe trying to list this on eBay rather. 

BUT, it's so tempting just to have the money in pocket no hassles (ie scrap them) ...rather than taking a pic, listing, hoping it sells, mailing and waiting for feedback, or the 180 days the buyer has to enjoy them, and then discovers they don't fit anymore .....(!!)

As a new seller here selling gold is too risky,  I'm thinking.  What do you think?

Just curious as well ... what do folks tend to do here when the item is not great but might sell for more than scrap?

I could get about $65 for these as scrap from my gold buyer.

Is it worth the hassle to list here and maybe get $90? (on a good day)

002.JPG

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Beautiful 🙂

That being said I would wear or private sell or scrap, online sale might go to a scrapper anyway.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Personal opinion..(& I dont sell gold  or silver lol) but a 65 bird in the hand ...yadayadayada..esp when you add Ebay & all it`s follies into the equation.  I`d be takin the sure money & be happy Cat Happy

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

If you think $90 is the best you could get on ebay, I'd take the $65 scrap.   They are nice, and a little different looking, so might sell on ebay, but there's not enough difference in price to go through the trouble.  I have not been successful selling gold hoops on ebay.  I'm probably asking too much - wish I'd scrapped them when gold was higher.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for the input, folks.

I just checked and can sell these for $70 (I was using the wrong price per gram earlier) through my usual "go-to" guy for gold.

It's so much easier to just be done with it by just scrapping these locally, no come backs and worries ...so that's my inclination as well. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I personally don't sell gold here.  It is just too risky, IMHO.  The only exception to this is if the antique or design of the item is of more value than the gold.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

If you sell gold here, list it as scrap (unless it's crazy old and unique) with buy it now lowest price up front.  Don't best offer, they'll lowball you into maddess.  Gold is down right now, some will pay well anticipating it going back up.  Had that happen last week.

BUT - I also had a ring valued at $500 sell for $81.00 after I opened at .99... Scrap value was 125.00...  Never again!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, let go and put it to the scrappers what you want up front or don't sell gold here.

Just my two cents....

Two cents more... The .99 opener has IMO driven the market here into the toilet.  Did a bunch of sold searches...  Oh my, vintage cased glass lamps going for a couple of bucks with free shipping?  Nice vintage brooches selling for .02 with free shipping?  I wondered why I was having so much trouble getting a reasonable price on things that I used sell here for that amount with no issues.  Going along with some of the suggestions is doing a great deal of harm...

Rant over...

Photobucket
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Either that or it's driving out some small fish. Which may be what they were after in the first place.... BTW - if I had those earrings here my sister would be getting them for Christmas. They're really pretty, and one has to buy siblings goodies anyway, and I'm betting the price was right.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Yeah, I thought about that...  They'll self destruct if they continue in that mode for long.  But, new folks who will go along to get along will keep on trying. 

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE for there to be tons of fabulous items on here.  That's why the buyers show up.  But because I've been dealing with family things for about 18 months and haven't sold it was really obvious just how badly the prices have dropped on many items here. 

Bakelite is one thing that has changed a great deal.  But if you look through the listings and see genuine lucite bakelite, genuine celluloid bakelite, etc. and colors that bakelite never came in and what appears to be 1980s el cheapo plastic.  Well, that's probably part of it too.

Still, it is WAY better here as far as sales go than anywhere else I've tried.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 9
latest reply