cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is cinnabar toxic?

A man at a lapidary group I go to said that we cant work on cinnabar in the lab because it is toxic.  I looked into it and it does contain mercury sulfide but there is more mercury in swordfish than in cinnabar.  Anybody know?  I didnt even think cinnabar was an actual gemstone.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Is cinnabar toxic?

It's listed as #1 on the list of the 10 most deadly rocks that don't have to be thrown at you to kill you.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Is cinnabar toxic?

@gauntlettgems wrote:

It's listed as #1 on the list of the 10 most deadly rocks that don't have to be thrown at you to kill you.  

gleeclub.jpg

Too funny! 

Interesting. This will give me something to research. I've never thought about just how toxic it can be.

Diane

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Is cinnabar toxic?

I thought it was interesting too. Who'd have known
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Is cinnabar toxic?

HOLY SNOT!!!  So now I really want to (need to) hold on to the cinnabar jewelry I have (not sure I can sell it).  I The same guy told me that malachite will give me copper poisoning but that same site said nothing of the sort.  Thanks for the warning!

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Is cinnabar toxic?

I think the mineral and the modern jewelry are different things.  The old stuff could be trouble but the modern pieces are resin and have a synthetic coloring.  The old stuff is only problem if it gets broken or somebody swallows it, as far as I know.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Is cinnabar toxic?

Google"malachite dust poisoning",grinding or sanding dry is toxic if you breathe or ingest it.Depending on the amount it could happen in a matter of hours,cinnabar would probably take longer.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Is cinnabar toxic?

I havent found a cutoff of when they stopped mining and carving cinnabar but it is still used as a coloring in lacquer ware and jewelry items are probably a composite and not straight cinnabar.  BUT...I have several antique items Im not so sure about.  Beautiful stuff - I would love to sell it if it is legal and safe to do so.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Is cinnabar toxic?

Thank you so much for posting this link!  Fascinating and now bookmarked for future referance!

Minsatisstuff Hodgepodge Collection
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Is cinnabar toxic?

today's haultoday's haul

We were talking about cinnabar, and what pops up in the tag end of an estate sale this morning? Yep - and this isn't the modern stuff.  I wouldn't want to eat off of it. The expensive bits came from an antique store, but the plate was marked ....75 cents.  It's a cousin's Christmas present. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Is cinnabar toxic?

So you are giving your cousin toxic cinnabar? Dont you like your cousin? 😄

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Is cinnabar toxic?

The laplab sanders and saws all use water so should be safe.  Folks do malachite there everyweek apparently.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Is cinnabar toxic?

I like my cousin just fine; if she puts her husband's lunch on it, that's her lookout. Besides, he probably earned it.(LOL)

Message 14 of 14
latest reply