cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How would you describe this brooch? Era? Style? Setting?

047CBADF-D6B1-424D-900B-74B11677ADB2.jpeg

F0EEB1EC-AD0F-4653-BBA9-535D4EC0EB82.jpeg

A46F6DD7-46FF-49FE-A5D6-C0B53FCBF27A.jpeg

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Have you checked here for a match up with the back texturing?

http://imageevent.com/flippingtreasures/h1identifiedjewelrytexturesh1/identifiedtextures

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Great link!! I dont see it there..resembles mma and goldette..but not the same ..ugh

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Is that lapis?  Great piece!

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

I think it might be how do you determine if it's a real lapis or faux lapis?

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Found a test.. I rubbed it heavily with acetone.. no color transferred. Hmmm guess it IS lapis

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Don't know where you got the "test", but colored glass doesn't transfer color with acetone, either.  I grabbed your picture and enlarged the center stone.  It looks like glass to me.  You might want to get it professionally looked at, before listing.

I would call it layered filigree with bezel sets.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Here is the enlarged stone.

Blue Stone.jpg

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

I just Googled how to test for real lapis and a bunch of them just said Robert with rubbing alcohol and if color transfers it's a fake but yeah you're right glass wouldn't admit color transfer so I think I will have a jeweler look at it because it is a very nice piece.. and thank you for enlarging the stone for me!

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Sorry I missed the up close that showed the gold flecks - YES lapis lazuli.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

definitely VINTAGE/retro. Reminds me of items I have from Mexico from l960's - in sterling. Some unmarked, as way back when they didn't always .925 stamp. You can test if you think yours is sterling with an acid and a magnet.. Can't comment on the stone without seeing it in person. It's a nice piece--hope you sell it. I also sell jewelry for past l5 years-it is a tough marketplace in some respects. A lot of people who are seniors are giving away their items to family members, and a lot of the young ones in their 20's dont' care about retro. It's a puzzle to me, as I am a jewelry-aholic and like all eras and all types of jewelry. GOOD LUCK TO YOU...some pieces you just have to describe as best as you can, or if in doubt, don't list.....My buyers ask me ?'s I couldn't even IMAGINE sometimes...not usual, but specific & very persnickety  type issues...it's amazing, we all think on different jets, LOL!~~

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

IF IT IS LAPIS, the flecks are PYRITE not gold -- or it's called "fools gold", sometimes. Hope that comment helps you. It looks like lapis from the photo, but hard for me to tell without seeing & testing it. Nowdays there are so many people in other countries that are totally adept at copying/replicating a stone, & they have even fooled some very experienced jewelers I know....one is that that there is a scam where they overlay glass over a portion of genuine gemstone & sell it as genuine 100% gemstone with high prices.. One of mv wholesalers lost thousands on that scam; day he told me about it, he was  in tears. I still see listings on here that say .925 for $3...c'mon on, people, wake up, it's impossible, period. Or listings that say a gemstone & it is obvious that it's glass. I guess only obvious to someone not looking for a "deal", or who knows jewelry for many years. And some buyers just like the "look" and buy & figure if it falls apart in short time, no big deal, not expensive,  next. Everyone has a different mindset. All you can do is test, certify if necessary, read books on gemstones, compare photos, talk to jewelers locally, etc. & do your best to educate yourself. Be cautious, careful & BEST OF LUCK TO YOU...

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

It looks like a late 60s/early 70s "mom's church suit" kinda brooch.  Beyond that, it might be German and might not. 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

It has unusual texture on the back.

To me a Style might be Renaissance Revival.
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

No of course it isnt real gold. I should have been more specific.  I was referring to the color though not the metal.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply