cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi Is this old or made to look old?

aB4puh4NRRGCPpHjjRTATQ.jpg6TRC01UwQKOLePvGVTVhpg.jpgAvAov1pXQiSwb5uR9itu5g.jpg+efVQkI7SCeXyCPlf62sFw.jpggoAJoYu3QmKG0rYZL+IFdQ.jpgOqrg8yJiQt+NgjIrocrHAQ.jpgoWhhQ+tuSVicdB1fSxa73Q.jpg

I know it's missing a bunch of stones but I found it too pretty to leave behind and the price was right. It looks early 20th century to me but I am scared that it is a remake and I just don't realize it.  Anyone know where I can get stones to replace?  I cannot find any marks on this.  It kinda looks like silver but I am thinking it might be plate.  The green stones feel like glass.  Art deco style??   Any help is much appreciated.  Thank you, guys!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

From looking at the back I'd say it's 30s based on the safety clasp. The back looks like classic pot metal from that era, and it's highly unlikely to be plated on the front. It's a nice pin and looks to be well-made. Excellent find!

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

@thirry wrote:

From looking at the back I'd say it's 30s based on the safety clasp. The back looks like classic pot metal from that era, and it's highly unlikely to be plated on the front. It's a nice pin and looks to be well-made. Excellent find!

Agree.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Great pin! Looks pretty old to me, I agree with the other posters. About getting stones, right here on ebay is a good place to start. Those look like marcasite to me, and you should be able to find them in the right size here. Otherwise check etsy. Just make sure to measure correctly 🙂

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Chrysoprase?

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

It actually could be emeralds with quartz accent stones.  It is weird what folks have decided to skimp on over the years.  Sometimes the metals were cheap so they set good stones in bad settings, sometimes gold or silver set with glass.  Turquoise and lapis set in brass from India and lots of cheap mother of pearl in sterling.  Some countries sold jade, pearls, and coral for dirt cheap as souvenier items, sometimes jack the prices way up if they are a fashion trend then return them to regular dirt cheap prices after the trend is over.  I sold hand carved vintage cameos for great money when they were hot for like a minute years ago (Victorian Revival) but find few buyers now.  I find all kinds.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I'd call this 30s pot metal with marcasite and "good question".  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

I have a good resource for marcasites for a reasonable price. I'll just check that and get back to you.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

I'm pretty sure this is the right link. I have two of them and the first one I tried to verify wanted a small fortune for marcasites and was located in the UK! Zowie. This looks like the right one. Don't know what size you're looking for but this was where I parked my bookmark.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/45307512/vintage-1950s-marcasite-chatons-29-3mm

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

You wont have any trouble finding loose marcasites to replace the missing ones.  They are usually glued in so the fall out often.  They are a PILL to reset though - use jeweler's cement.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

I need to check the green stones but I had forgot about chrysoprase
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

ty e1!!

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

The only reason I knew about that stone is I had a deco era pot metal pin with it and had marcasites too. At the time I thought the stone was glass. Such a pretty color!

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Yes and yes and yes! Vintage Deco, pot metal, crystoprase and marchasites. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Hi, I finally got to check the green stones on the Presidium and they did not budge 😞 Still pretty! thank you all for the help

Message 15 of 17
latest reply