cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with this silver Mexico necklace Egyptian revival?

fullsizeoutput_2846.jpegfullsizeoutput_27e7.jpegfullsizeoutput_280d.jpegfullsizeoutput_2831.jpegfullsizeoutput_285a.jpegAHGOWfKbTuGQjQqbfZmgOQ.jpgbGapsOh5Q1OFPw6XHVKprQ.jpg 

Help!   I thought I saw Art Deco style but then again, Egyptian revival.  I could certainly be wrong about either as well.  The stones do not register so I assume they are glass   They are perfect so I am thinking someone never wore this as I think it has some age to it.   What are your opinions?  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Hi gauntlett, IMO you have a beautiful antique/vintage Art Deco (era) necklace. It has a type of mark that was in common use until the late 1940s, so that narrows down when it was made to roughly the first half of the 20th century. Based on the design, I'd say closer to the mid-late 1920s.

There was a resurgence of interest in Egyptian revival after King Tut's tomb was unearthed in 1922. Even if the eras coincide, the necklace has none of the common motifs or symbols that define Egyptian revival jewelry. I'd go with Art Deco.

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

I'd test it for silver. 

If it was, I'd probably describe it as Mexico silver.  Maybe vintage. 

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

Dang it. I hate to scratch test it. Ugh. Ty for all of the help guys
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

Try the magnet test first, if you have one.

Somehow I can't associate Mexico with Egyptian Revival. 

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

Love this necklace GG, it screems Deco to me 🙂 Do you have someone local who can check it without having to scratch it? Our scrap guy has some kind on machine that can "read" the metal content without having to damage the piece. Just an idea

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

Our local Treasure Hunt has one of those machines.  I believe they are called XRF Analyzers, and they are amazing!

I wish I could get one for home use, but I think they generally run in the $15-20K range.

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

@rubiano98 wrote:

Somehow I can't associate Mexico with Egyptian Revival. 

Me too, I can't even associate Mexico with art deco!

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

Yeah very $$$$$, he told my hubby the dollar amount, I don't remember what it was exactly but I remember thinking holy carp! 

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

The clasp and chain seem different from styles used by Mexican Craftsman even with the Mark.

Looking at the close up of the front of the one panel it seems to show Egyptian markings. Are the Marks raised?

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

exDczafMSh+sKfd%yBZ6hw.jpgJAaf%3llQtabyM0JDsvDCw.jpg2A7VGsIpTFWxqR419iFYvQ.jpg

Forgive me if this is posted twice.  I can't find the first one now.  It does not magnetize anywhere and it passed the acid test on several areas.  The dots in the triangles are pits and the lines and 3 dots are raised.  I've heard that machine can run up to $30k!

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

Gg, I test the metal when a silver mark doesn't ring true to me. With many years of experience handling Mexican silver, I think one naturally develops a feel for it and cognition of both the metal and marks. I know others will disagree, but I can only speak about what I've learned. I would trust the mark on this necklace if it were mine and I wanted to keep it. If I wanted to sell it, I would test the metal not because of uncertainty, but in order to confirm to a buyer that the metal is sterling silver and has been tested. 

Testing should confirm silver content of at least .925 but I think there's a chance of a higher silver content. Old Mexico silver objects were frequently made with higher grades of silver.

Vern, that machine sounds so wonderful - I want one. wish I had the $$$$ for it. I think this necklace is a beauty, too.

Gg, if you have ta pull out the testing kit, and use acid drops on a scratch stone, you may be able to avoid leaving a conspicuous mark or one that disturbs the front patina, by carefully selecting areas to rub against the stone that are normally unseen - like on the flattest edges that rim the plaques or hook, or on back sides.

forummexmark1.jpg

OCN, I think you may be viewing newer styles. Photo above shows the kind of clasps one is likely to find on old, early 20th century Mexican sterling silver necklaces. Both have a style I call "hook and eye". Each is similar to, but the clasp on the left is more like the one on gauntlette's necklace. Hooks and eyes were made entirely by hand so there are plenty of variations of the basic style. I would be worried if the rings that make up chains, connections, or stations in a necklace were not soldered.

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

Mexican silver tends lower than 925 - 600-800, usually with nickel mixed in.  That is STILL ALOT of silver!

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

If you are looking for a metal tester the Mizar is a good one.  Most test multiple levels of gold 9-24K but a couple can test white gold and silver.  Under $500 new if you can find them. (I got mine - older but unused - as only bidder for $75 bucks).  It will need testing solution though but I think worth it for older unmarked pieces.

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

Call me crazy, but I just don't see that this falls into "art deco Mexican silver".  I have never seen Mexican silver that is of that style.  Could someone point out to me who might have made it, or something similar to it?

Why are we assuming that it is old? 

It appears to be rather scantily made.  The pieces are machine made, with skimpy connections. 

Could it not be a newer tourist piece? 

Message 15 of 36
latest reply