cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with age/description on necklace

So I've come across these a few times and I never know how to describe them. There are small "tabs" between the glass beads. Any ideas on age/origin? Is there a specific name for this style necklace? 

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to look!

Pauline 

P2100043.JPGP2100040.JPGP2100042.JPG

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

My first thought was India. But then maybe somewhere in Africa?

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Can't guess on age or where but as far as style how about Bib.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

This is one long string, if I am seeing it right, so bib is not what I would call it.  Based on the length you could us one of these terms:

(B) Princes   16-20"
(C) Matinee   20-26"  
(D) Opera     28-36"
(E) Rope      40"+

I would describe it as a Tribal Talisman Charm Necklace.  Don't know from where.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

^^^
Ditto what Sandy said 🙂
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Forgot to say. This might be meant to be worn single or once wrapped as I have a feeling the small bits of metal are "Musical" like wind chimes when the wearer moves or dances.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Thanks everyone for the info!

I remember reading something about ankle jewelry worn in India that made a sound-rumor/tales said this was to chase away bugs?? or something to that effect.

It's 50" so it's in the rope range (I always thought the longer ones were opera length) So I learned some new things today 🙂

Thanks Everyone!  

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Vern, I have an anklet from India that has little bells. When I wear it (not often) I'm reminded of the saying, "I'll be there with bells on."

🙂

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I have a necklace with little metal fish charms which, when I move, sounds like a cross between wind chimes and leaves rustling.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply