cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with a Chinese or Japanese Necklace, please

I think, this is a pretty neat necklace, but not sure of age. Looking at it, now, I see Mt Fuji in the background on some of the squares, so it must be Japanese. Some squares depict a pagoda, but I haven't yet figured out what is depicted on the other squares.  A magnet doesn't stick to it, so it's not brass.

Would cloisonne be an accurate term for the squares, or something else? There's a spot of verdigris on the back. If that wasn't there, I don't think I'd clean it.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Asian Necklace.jpg

Asian Necklace 1.jpg

Asian Necklace 2.jpg

Asian Necklace 3.jpg

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Does not look like cloisonne
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Show a close up of one panel
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Here you go. Maybe Inlaid would be a better term. Looks like the yellow metal depictions are set in black, and then the enamel, if that's what it is, surrounds the depictions. Two of the squares have textured depictions. The other one isn't textured.

Asian Necklace 4.jpg

Asian Necklace 5.jpgAsian Necklace 6.jpg

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

IMHO i don't think I'd call this cloisonne Does not have the little metal lines but maybe inlaid enamel Sure is pretty Maybe someone more knowledgeable can help Sorry!

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

What a pretty necklace . I wouldn't call it Cloisonné or enamel , looks different than both . Looks painted or something but not shiny enough to be enamel . hmmmm what would you call that ? I'll be curious to hear what the other Joolies have to say .
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Once I took a closer look, I realized it wasn't cloisonne, too, gauntlettgems. 🙂

It may be painted, sm. Enamel was the only word I could come up with to describe it.

I think it's pretty unique. Hoping someone has some pertinent info, or good keywords for searching for others, that might be similar.

I've just begun to fight. 🙂

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

The color is so pretty . Looks like a pinkish red , or Rose red on my screen . What color does it look like in person ?
Message 8 of 19
latest reply

The color is more red.

This was one of those "I can't wait to find out more about it" pieces, so I took a few quick photos, but I'll take better ones tomorrow. 🙂
Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Are the designs carved, embossed, or just feel smooth?  So pretty!

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Kindof reminds me of Damascene on the full shot, except pink. My WAG would be 60's, but I couldnt give you any explanation as to why Woman Wink

I guess its the color.

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

I think this might be an altered piece. An older piece that was updated with nail polish. It might have had more areas of verdigris on the front?

(Two or three years there was a post on the old Board about updating jewelry with nail polish.)
Message 12 of 19
latest reply

I'd suspect Japanese damascene too if it weren't for the color; texture is right and first pic clearly shows Mount Fuji. If it is a nail polish job it's a really good one - doesn't look sloppy at all.

flotsamlogo
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

I haven't taken anymore photos, yet, but after doing a bit of research, I think the correct term for the design is "Shakudo." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakud%C5%8D

I agree, that if it has been "altered," that it was done very well. I'll post some more photos later on today. Thanks for all the input.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

I agree that the added color is well done. Where I see the cold painted enamel technique is in the dots of color only partially covering the smaller bits of black. It also looks like there might be some areas of overprinting on some of the design.
Message 15 of 19
latest reply