cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gold and pearl pin, how old and pearl question.

Found some beautiful items this week, which I'll post in the Eye Candy thread this weekend.

Right now though, I was wondering about this 10K gold pearl pin.

Marked 'K10' on the edge in a rose gold, it was pretty dirty when I found it, polished up niceley though. The mark was hard to see so it was only $4.00 in the junk display at a TS. Smiley Happy

Looks pretty old to me, early 20th Century perhaps ?

Is there a way to determine if pearls are natural or cultured, and does it matter in a piece like this ?

TIA.

pearl1.jpg

pearl2.jpg

pearl3.jpg

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

The K before the number usually (not always) indicates a European piece. This is such a classic style with the laurel leaf wreath and with the construction on gold pieces not changing much until lately that I would think dating would be impossible. I always use cultured in my description of pearls unless it is an obvious fresh water pearl. A cultured pearl is natural with the only difference being that a grain of sand or other irritant started the pearl versus a human inserting it. The cultured pearls will be more perfectly round because of the uniform starter being inserted but even a GIA gemologist cannot tell on perfectly round stones without an xray or cutting it open so I use cultured to be safe.

An umbrella and a mind have a lot in common, they both function better when open.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Makes sense CAV, thank you !

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

The K first was also used in Japan.
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Here is a closed ebay auction for a similar brooch to yours

Item Number 191497244619
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Thank you Crow. Yes, even the mark placement and font is the same.

Thanks again !

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

That milling detail on the laurel is so pretty.

Kudos on this find!

Diane

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Thank you Whering. 🙂

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Oh dear Ladies, you are making feel old this morning. Sold goodness knows how many of these. in various forms. But this style was so popular as: Christening presents, first real jewellery gift from Godmother, Bridesmaid gifts to name just a few. They started to slow down by the 70's. Now we haven't sold any for ages. This style was made in gold and silver. all had real saltwater pearls (Akoya), as has this brooch. As peoplebrooch 2.jpgbrooch 1.jpg stop getting married so did the wonderful bridesmaid gift market slowed down. Guess what followed , Christenings etc. all of which changed a large part of the jewellery business. I have enclosed a couple of pictures from our sample range to show what style we made to be just a little different. Funnily enough the young generation to-day which seems to be showing signs here of being a bit conservative again. Seems to be interested in such items. Jillian

Charm Affair or Charm
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I forgot to mention that they were made in most English speaking countries. But, Japan was huge. Like all their other silver and pearl brooches they made in large numbers for the European market. J.
Charm Affair or Charm
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Calico , Absolutely beautiful ! I love your treasure .

Charm , Sorry we are making you feel old , but thanks for sharing your knowledge . Very interesting , such pretty little gifts . I do hope the youngins bring this sentimental gift trend back .

Mermaid 🐳

Message 11 of 11
latest reply