cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know what kind of stone this is? Agate?

I'm leaning towards some type of agate, but figured I'd ask first just in case someone recognizes it.  VERY dark stone, but in the sunlight there's clear lines or "layers" so to speak.  It's a chantille style pin brooch combo, sterling and copper,  probably 70's I'm guessing.  Only marked "925".  Thank you for any suggestions!

IMG_0127.JPG

IMG_0131.JPG

IMG_0129.JPG

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Best life lesson my father taught me - "Always be up to speed when entering the freeway, because you can slow down a lot faster than you can speed up."
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

From the front, I would have said your identification of agate would be correct.  But this doesn't look like agate from the back.  It looks more like shell.  Not sure what kind of shell.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thank you Sandy!  The back is actually just a solid sterling plate, I think the color you're seeing is a reflection from my screensaver.  So I'll go with agate unless anyone else sees something different.  Smiley Happy  Thanks again!

Best life lesson my father taught me - "Always be up to speed when entering the freeway, because you can slow down a lot faster than you can speed up."
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

P.S. ~ I meant cannetille, not chantille... I take a break for a few months and I start losing it! Smiley LOL

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Yep!!! looks like a Banded Agate to me.. Beautiful!!

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Smiley Very Happy Well, if the back is closed it sure does look like agate to me.  It's a pretty stone.  IMHO, nature made some of the most beautiful stones ever.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply