cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Anyone Know the Hallmark DBL and What are These Beads Made Off?

I was making a pair of earrings this evening and needed a red bead of some kind so I pulled out the "RED" storage box to sort through it for the right bead.  Yeah, it SOUNDS organized doesn't it, yeah not.  Anyway I had a baggie with two necklaces and a bracelet made of small red glass beads, all three different.  As I looked at the bracelet I realized the beads weren't glass.  I don't know what they are.  They're not agate carnelian as there's no translucency to them.  The color is a tomato red and the beads have almost a grittyness to them when I rub them against my teeth.  They're not perfectly round, each is slightly different and they tend to have little depressions in them.  The clasp is unusual as well; I've never seen one quite like this.  DBL is printed on the back of the clasp.  Of course searching by DBL brings up double everything since DBL is a common abbreviation for double.  Does anybody have any thoughts on this?  I came in a lot I bought years ago.

000_8247.JPG000_8254.JPG

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Possibly red jade or maybe coral .

Mermaid 🐳
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Possibly coral.

I've seen the DBL mark on gold filled items from Europe ...Germany and Holland.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Thanks Arlene!  You sent me in the right direction and I found a page on gold marks.  Apparently it stands for Double Gold Filled.  I'm not sure how that works.  It says gold is applied to "both" sides of the base metal?  http://www.yesterdaysgems.com/goldmarks.html

I suspect the beads are coral.  There are faint striations on some of the beads that remind me of an old coral piece I had years ago.  I can't really think what other stone it could be for it's age and appearance, and in my looking I came across some similar vintage bracelets.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply