cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you think this brooch & earring set is D & E?

I've had this set for awhile and wonder if it could be D & E? Thanks!

Green Brooch

Back

D & E back

Clasp is an older "C" clasp

D & E Clasp

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Very pretty.

Not sure about D&E. Reason is I was told the shape of the pinback was not used by D&E 😞

Re the clasp, It looks like the rollover part is missing.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I agree with OCN.  If you check the verification site:

http://www.agedandopulentjewelry.com/pages/pinshooksclipsclasps.htm

& look at the pin backs..it does show one with the 'v,'  but it is riveted to the pin.  I don`t know it there are other exceptions to this or not tho. 

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

D&E did use these types of pin mechanisms on some of their pieces, but very, very rarely. It is my understanding they were used when the other pin assemblies wouldn't fit right on the piece.  I don't see that problem here. 

There are two attributes that I see on this set that were used by D&E, the open back stones and the type of earring clips on the earrings.  Unfortunately, these same things were used by many, many, many more manufacturers and designers.

What was it about this set that makes you think it would be a D&E piece?  By answering this, you can help up clear up some reasons on why we think it is not D&E.  Besides just the pin mechanism that was used.  Smiley Happy

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@flipping_treasures wrote:

D&E did use these types of pin mechanisms on some of their pieces, but very, very rarely. It is my understanding they were used when the other pin assemblies wouldn't fit right on the piece.  I don't see that problem here. 

There are two attributes that I see on this set that were used by D&E, the open back stones and the type of earring clips on the earrings.  Unfortunately, these same things were used by many, many, many more manufacturers and designers.

What was it about this set that makes you think it would be a D&E piece?  By answering this, you can help up clear up some reasons on why we think it is not D&E.  Besides just the pin mechanism that was used.  Smiley Happy

Sandy, I thought the earring clips were a clue and possibly the puddling. I struggle with recognizing the puddling, and guess I would need to actually examine a piece that is verified to maybe make it clear to me. I see that they used these type of pins, but as Sarah says no rivet. I appreciate the help as I learn. 🙂 Thanks everyone!

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Puddling Smiley Happy.... probably the most misunderstood of all D&E attributes.  Let me see if I can help.  Puddling does not mean a glob of solder that holds seperate settings together.  It's a very distinct looking feature that actually occured because the cleaning process before the piece was plated didn't occur correctly.  At least that is how it was explained by Mr. DeLizza.  It occures between two or sometimes three chaton shaped cups that were used for settings.  Here are some examples:

DE-puddling.JPG

As you can see, these are not globs or even puddles of solder, but well defined figure 8 looking pieces of solder between the two or three settings.

Hope this helps clear up some of the confusion about puddling.  Smiley Happy

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Thank you so much Sandy for taking the time to explain puddling. The picture helps too, and I'll go thru my unsigned pieces this weekend and take a closer look. Appreciate the help! 🙂

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I only noticed this type of Pinback showing up on the Public D&E Site AFTER Mr. D was no longer associated with it. This bothers me. Is there any other more reliable resource that confirms the use?
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Yes.  There were a few, a very few, that were verified by Mr. Delizza for the other site.  And then there is a butterfly pictured in Paula and Karla's book that has the curved mechanisim like this on a verified D&E butterfly.

DE07.jpg

These are just off the top of my head.  It was verified by Mr. Delizza that they would use this type of pin mechanisims If needed, but it was not used much.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply