cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carved milk glass brooch?

I've been curious about this brooch for a while and can't find anything comparable.  It appears to be milk glass that is carved and colored around the edge with such precision it doesn't seem applied.  It seems to be part of the milk glass.  Is there such a thing as black and white milk glass?  An estimate of age would be appreciated, too.  Thanks!

blackwhite1.JPGblackwhite2.JPGblackwhite3.JPGblackwhite4.JPG

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Looks 60`s-70`s to me..based on the backing & style of bail.

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Think molded rather than carved.  The ones I have seen done like this had a glass cameo attached to the center of them, like this. 

Cameo.jpg

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for helping with the time frame, Sarah.  I actually saw a piece nearly identical to this that the seller was describing as Victorian.  I didn't include it in my original question because I didn't think it was Victorian based on the looks and construction like you said.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Of course, Sandy!  There's no way a piece could be so precisely carved.  Thanks for snapping me back to reality!  And thanks for the great idea of repurposing the top.  I have loose cameos and other pieces that would really dress up that brooch.  The top is so plain it seems to need something Smiley Happy.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

You will have to let us see once you have decided what you want to do with it.  What a fun piece to work with.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I'll do that!  Thanks!

Message 7 of 7
latest reply