cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you tell me what stone this is on small brooch? Also the approx. age of brooch?

This is from my auction lot from a couple of weeks ago.  Just a little brooch 1 in. by 7/8 in.  Red/orange stones;  back was tarnished, cleaned up with silver polish so I assume it is at least silverplate but no marking at all.  It has a C hook fastener.

008.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Can you tell me what stone this is on small brooch? Also the approx. age of brooch?

This is a WAG but maybe red jasper or red jade? 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

My first instincts are: outer beads - coral, center cabochon - carnelian, metal - gold filled (but worth checking to make sure it's not low-karat solid gold)

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Oh, and age likely late 1800s!

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

The stones look like coral. Age? Victorian or maybe even Georgian. Someone else may know if it's more 1860 or 1760.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Outer stones do look like coral so I guess a good way to determine the center is what kind of stones would be paired with coral for that time period? 
Again, just throwing ideas out there, I'm no expert.

Edit: Unless you guys are saying the outer and inner are the same stone? They look different to me but that just could be my monitor.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

The inner stone is definitely darker than the outer stones.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Maybe early 1900's ,so center stone probably Sard and edge coral.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Very Victorian with coral and carnelian, be sure to test the metal.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I agre with Cali, Victorian. Cant tell tho if its early or later.  The outer cabs look to have lines consistent with coral. 

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Pheasant, please post this to the Coming Attractions if you list it here. Thx.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Okay, I will. 

I don't have any testing equipment for the metal though.  Will jewelers do this for you?

Message 12 of 12
latest reply