cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone familar with Norwegian hallmarks?

This brooch is driving me a little crazy.  It's a Hroar Prydz design but not the correct hallmark.  The Prydz hallmark looks sort of like a pacman figure, whereas this one has a crown.  There are several of these exact flowers listed with the correct Prydz hallmark and a couple with crown hallmarks like mine attributing them to Prydz.  I've checked all the usual sites such as 925-1000, Morning Glory, etc., and cannot find this particular hallmark.   Any help with the descrepancy between the two hallmarks is much apprciated!

hrorpryndz1.jpg

hrorpryndz2.jpg

hrorpryndz3.jpg

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Possibly Theodor Olsens Eftf, scroll down to the fourth one on this list and see if it matches. I think it is but just smaller.

http://mysaga.net/vikingsalts/Marks/marks.html

An umbrella and a mind have a lot in common, they both function better when open.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Don't think this will help? I have this bookmarked page:

http://www.modernsilver.com/Norwegiansilverhallmarks.htm

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Thanks, CAV.  The Eftf mark came the closest on the 925-1000 site, but not quite a cigar.  I wonder if Prydz subbed his designs to other makers?

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Thanks also, OCN.  I stumbled on that site in my searches but didn't find this particular mark.  I appreciate you taking the time to help!

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I went and got the Silver Jewelry book by Fred Rezazadeh. He shows your pin on page 128 in green enamel.

Under the pin it says, "...marked NORWAY 925S, same maker's mark as at left and not yet identified."

The description of the mark he references at left doesn't sound like yours, "...marked NORWAY 925S and with maker's mark, possible letter "A" on its side within inverse "C," not yet identified."

Sorry it's not more helpful.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for checking your book, zienty.  It sounds like the book is describing the correct mark for Hroar Prycz.  I'll keep looking and hopefully something will turn up!

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I made a little headway on this brooch.  I wrote to a seller who had the same brooch listed with the same mark as mine and asked about the difference between the two marks.  Here's the reply:  "This mark is an older mark that wasn't used as much as the circle with the wedge, or "pacman" mark. If you check solvstempler.no for Hroar Prydz, you'll see the crown as his stamp, and not the "pacman" mark. The actual jewelry was most likely made in the 1970's."  It's funny because I thought I made up the description of the pacman mark, but apparently it appears the same way to others.  Unfortunately, the website I was referred to is written in some Scandanavian language, but since this seller seems to deal in Scandanavian jewelry, I'll take their word for it.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply