cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any ideas on this photo locket

A lady at work asked me if I could tell her anything about her grandmas locket, this is something I'm not really familiar with so I was hoping someone could help? I think it's possiby hand painted. She told me her gram passed in 72 and was 69 years of age. She also stated it was empty when she recieved it in 72 and wasn't on a chain then either.

P1010001 (1).JPG

P1010007 (2).JPG

P1010009.JPG

P1010010.JPG

P1010002 (2).JPG

P1010003 (2).JPG

P1010006 (2).JPG

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Look at the picture closely through a loupe or strong magnifying glass, or zoom your photo at least 3x. If it's hand painted you'll see brush strokes. If you see little dots, it's transferware, printed onto the surface by the same process newspapers use to print photos.

Even before you do that, though, tap it on your teeth. You'll be able to tell from the sound/feel whether it's ceramic or plastic.

flotsamlogo
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

The image is a transfer; I've seen her on a regular basis. There may be some details painted in by hand, but most of it is printed on.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@evelyb30 wrote:
The image is a transfer; I've seen her on a regular basis. There may be some details painted in by hand, but most of it is printed on.

I had a collection of six ladies like that transferred onto lockets that I sold on the vintage and handcraft site.  Each lady had different hair and dress color.  Four seemed like seasons of the year but the other two were just ladies.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply