cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another what is it?

Found this in a jewelry lot I bought from an out of state auction that I sometimes win a bid. I really think they wFront of the pairFront of the pairYou can see the reminds of glueYou can see the reminds of glueere once clip on earrings but just need a few of you to confirm. Next question - do you think they should be listed for someone to repair or a project?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Another what is it?

Those are cute! Are they shells or just made to look like them?

Selling them as-is probably wouldn't be very profitable I would think. Putting a couple of clips on them should be pretty easy. Or posts, for that matter. They'll be nice to wear 🙂

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Another what is it?

Just looked under a lupe and yes they are shells.  Looking at them close like that - wow = the detail.  The round the tiny faux pearls have tiny rhinestones mixed in.  Just wondering with all that detail - would love to know who made them.   Someone who repairs jewelry could make them into whatever they want.  Guess there might be hope for them. 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Another what is it?

They seem awfully uniform for shells - very few things in nature ever duplicate exactly. I've seen some pretty convincing fake shells. But I'm looking at a small pic on my phone so might miss differences.

Original findings were most likely screwbacks, especially if the shells are natural. My recommendation is to pick up a pair of glue-on posts and some Hypo Cement - it's a really easy fix.

flotsamlogo
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Another what is it?

The impression I have looking at the earrings from the photo is that they're delicately crocheted doilies (for lack of a better word)  ornamented with tiny seed pearls. Irresistible 🙂

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Another what is it?

Beautiful Shell Earring Fronts heart

I agree with the fix suggested. These could sell with the quick repair. I have seen some do very well.

Also thinking these would be a great addition to a Christmas Tree Art Piece or for a Wedding Bouquet or Craft Project.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Another what is it?

At some point in time there were a lot of earrings made like this.  I sold a pair several years ago.  The shells are real, sometimes dyed, and often the backing they are on is celluloid.   The designs are always very intricate and sometimes the shells are tiny little things.  I can't help but imagine someone with tweezers arranging shells on earring backs in a factory somewhere.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Another what is it?

There was a lady on the board years ago that made boxes with beautiful designs. I sold some tiny shells to her that were traditional.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Another what is it?

I went ahead and listed them for repair.  Know it is a easy fix - hoping someone else will think so too and buy them. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Another what is it?

I might call them earring fronts in the title to avoid confusion 🙂
Message 10 of 10
latest reply