cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another pair of earrings that I need help with

Very pretty pair of earrings they are clip back and I'm trying to date these can anybody help.  Thanks in advance 

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I can make out that the clips are embossed, can you determine if there is any writing in the embossing?

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Found a pat number 1967965 dates to 1934 for the Ballou Co

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Note, the patent number tells the earliest possible date for the piece, it could have been made any time after that that the patent was in force :smileyhappy

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Note, the patent number tells the earliest possible date for the piece, it could have been made any time after that that the patent was in force Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

And the company is still in business, I believe...but - with that said - a high quality jewelry manufacturer Nice pair of earrings.

"Free" shipping is like "free" kittens. Ain't no such thing.
eBay buyer and seller since January, 1998 - Former member of the "Answer Center Irregulars"....In memory of flowerpot.4
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

You find "Ballou clips" on unsigned beauties from the 50s and 60s, and some designers also used them - B. David comes immediately to mind. I think I've also seen them without a patent number, but Ballou clips are pretty distinctive.

One thing I've never been able to find out is about displaying the patent number after the patent has expired. A 1934 patent date would mean the clips would be out of patent by the early 1950s, but if the number kept being used there's no way to use that in dating.

flotsamlogo
Message 7 of 7
latest reply