cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Akro agate jewelry?

These large cuff links were sold as akro agate, but the only things I find in searching that name are marbles and glass.  They are in the original box that has nothing written on it.  The only markings on them are patent numbers on the attachments.  Have any of you heard of akro agate jewelry, or is that a figment of the seller's imagination?  Thanks!

akroagate2.JPG

akroagate3.JPG

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Akro agate jewelry?

They look like glass from here.  Found the company - apparently it's a brand name from Akron, OH.  They started out making marbles and branched out.  

http://www.glassencyclopedia.com/AkroAgateglass.html

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 2 of 35
latest reply

Akro agate jewelry?

Thanks, ev.  Yes, they're glass and I read about the company, but I didn't see where they made any jewelry.  Since they made a lot of glass I suppose it's possible they also made jewelry.  Just didn't know whether I could describe them using that name.  Thanks for the great website, by the way!

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

Akro agate jewelry?

I hadnt heard of the name but I have a pair of faux agate glass cufflinks myself from the 70s that are very similar.

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

Akro agate jewelry?

1. you should ask the dealer why she called them "arko agate".

2. "Arko Agate" is one of those terms that floats around the antiques market . It is often associated with depression glass, so a lot of old timers have heard the term. Arko also made vases and ashtrays from slag glass. I would guess that the dealer was being lazy, and said "Arko Agate" like one would say "Kleenex" rather than "Facial Tissue", or thought that the proper terms, like "slag glass" or "glass agate", wouldn't be as appealing as writing "Arko Agate".

It is the quality of a better glass mde from before 1970.

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

Akro agate jewelry?

Akro agate is very collectible among glass devotees. Jewelry made from it would be a nice "plus".  I found some necklace images on Google and they describe the beads as being made in Czechoslovakia.

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

Akro agate jewelry?

I have such a faint recognition of the name in my mind.  I think I've heard of the company a long time ago, but associated it with marbles.  Remember aggies?  A derivitive of (akro) agate = aggies?  I'm in no hurry to list them so I'll keep searching.  Appreciate everyone's responses!

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

Akro agate jewelry?

Akro, not Arko.

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

Akro agate jewelry?

Yes, dream, aggies. Those were the main claim to fame for Akro. They also made vases and such and called the glass "blended colors" or "multi colors."  The usual name for glass with that appearance is "slag glass."

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

Akro agate jewelry?

If you have some spare time here is a site that might help. No guarantee as it is a membership site:

https://www.kovels.com/price-guide/glass-price-guide/akro-agate.html

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

Akro agate jewelry?

Thanks for confirming my feeble memory, thirry, and thanks for the link, OCN.  The box they are in is from about the 30's or 40's, so I suppose they really could be from the Akro Agate company?  The seller seemed adamant that they were.  I never questioned her further as to why.

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

Akro agate jewelry?

Interesting. I looked at Pinterest again and my search turned up with a new/old Miriam Haskell brooch with a stated Akro Agate center stone. The question on that one, of course, is whether it was truly A.A. or if it was called that by the person who posted it on Pinterest. In the words of the King of Siam, "Tis a puzzlement."

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

Akro agate jewelry?

Or in the words of Lewis Carroll's Alice, "Curiouser and curiouser!"  If the company did make jewelry it wasn't much.  I think the pretty colors and swirls in the glass will sell them more than the name.  Thanks for the further research!

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

Akro agate jewelry?

Very pretty!  They look very much like banded agate.  Great history.  Always something new to learm!

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 14 of 35
latest reply

Akro agate jewelry?

I agree, Sandy.  I learned about "Forbidden Fruit" just last week Smiley Wink!

Message 15 of 35
latest reply