cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A few opinions needed on this ring Pretty please

IMG_1275.JPGIMG_1276.JPG

IMG_1278.JPGIMG_1281.JPG

Howdy all  1.  I was thinking this was Art Deco but do you think it is older?  2.  The stone on top registered on the Presidium as other than glass but I don't have a clue as to what it could be  Do you  have a guess?  Not sure if it's my eyes but I think I see a carnelian, reddish-brown towards the bottom of it.  4.  One pic shows that the ring has a rather crude and ugly repair on one side   For some reason I remember that this was done for certain reasons  Either during the war and materials were scarce or maybe that was what the person could afford   Could just be a bad repair job but I do recall I heard something about this type of repair but I just can't remember what now   Any thoughts on that?  5.  Last, Not holding anyone to anything but I can't bring myself to scrap this  Would you try to sell it or is it junkeroo?  

Thank you anyone and everyone for all the knowledge you guys lend,  I enjoy learning!  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Maybe try googling: Art Deco Lavender (or Blue) Chalcedony Ring

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Aha! It did kinda register in the Chalcedony range
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I was just looking at old rings today, gauntlett Smiley Happy.  On my screen, your stone looks lavender, and not being a stone expert, I'll defer to OCN's guess that it may be Chalcedony.  I see a little Victorian and a litte Deco, so maybe transitional?  I'm not familiar with the repair you mentioned, but I'd try to sell it before scrapping.  Someone may see or know something we don't.  Good luck!

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

The side view makes me think that it is sardonyx. 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I can't quite tell if there is red on the bottom or not

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

It's not always possible to tell from a picture, but as soon as I saw it, I thought that it was sardonyx.  Google sardonyx ring, or "uncarved" sardonyx.  You'll see some that have that "lavender" coloration.

Very popular during the eras that the ring seems to fall into...

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@kpamber wrote:

It's not always possible to tell from a picture, but as soon as I saw it, I thought that it was sardonyx.  Google sardonyx ring, or "uncarved" sardonyx.  You'll see some that have that "lavender" coloration.

Very popular during the eras that the ring seems to fall into...

Good point! I thought there was an Agate-like quality to the stone. When I looked at images on Google the Chalcedony I found was brighter in colour.

I also found this info online:

http://www.galleries.com/Sardonyx

Chalcedony and Agate are both mentioned which makes me ask. Did stone test as Quartz?

"Sardonyx is a banded variety of chalcedony (cryptocrystalline quartz), with layers alternating between Sard and Onyx. It is an impure fine-grained quartz whose crystals are too small to see."

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

It did test in the quartz range What threw me off of the sardonyx was the stripes I saw in most stones I'm going to look some more Thank you everyone for helping out!

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

AND !! Bingo I just found a bunch that are similar to mine and it is sardonyx! I'd never heard of that before Woo hoo Leaned something new! TY E1

Message 10 of 10
latest reply