cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50 year jubilee pin info

I posted this pin a couple years ago but then it sort of got lost and I have just come across it again.  If I remember right, someone who was English said it commemmorated 50 years of Queen Victoria?  and they went on to explain the assay marks to me and the stamping.  I wonder if anyone could take a look and see if they can give me any info on it

IMG_0162.JPGIMG_0158.JPGIMG_0159.JPGIMG_0162.JPG

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

50 year jubilee pin info

It's sterling - Birmingham anchor and the lion. The date code is 1886 if I'm reading things correctly. That would be spot on for the Golden Jubilee. 1897 is the Diamond - 60 years. No clue whodunnit. They may have made the back part for the 50th and used spares for the 60th. The numbers were added later or added to an existing pin someone already had.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

50 year jubilee pin info

This page might help you find the Maker:

http://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/

I would check the Birmingham page first than check London and the others. Sometimes a Mark could be on different city pages.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

50 year jubilee pin info

Thanks for the help--I found the maker on that page you listed Crow--it was Adey & Lovekin Ltd and the specific mark was from 1896  (A&L.L D) Could someone link me to a page with the meanings of the silver hallmarks?  Looks like an anchor and a lion and something in the center.  I don't think the 37 and 97 were added later but it's certainly possible-perhaps it was for her diamond jubilee--it was Queen Victoria, wasn't it?  I'm not really very good with the history or the English monarchy.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

50 year jubilee pin info

50 year jubilee pin info

It looked more like the M to me, unless the mark is upside-down.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

50 year jubilee pin info

That font is really hard to decipher 🙂

This page might be more helpful:

http://freespace.virgin.net/a.data/dateletters/bham/bhamframe.htm
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

50 year jubilee pin info

It does look like it matches the W for 1896 and that date matches the signature date  for Adie and Lovekin so I'm going to go with that.  Thanks so much to you both for all the help!

Karen

Message 8 of 8
latest reply