cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vendors selling stuff from Walmart and shipping direct from Walmart

Has anybody noticed that there are vendors selling on Ebay and when you bid on an item and get it, it ships directly from Walmart and then you feel like you were scammed because they buy it cheaper and pocket the difference and let Walmart ship it to me.   I bought chair cushions and this happened and then I bought a pair of Wahl clippers and this happened and I am beginning to get disgusted with Ebay, like it's just a bunch of scam artists selling on ebay.   Next time I will go to Walmart directly.    Is this wrong what they are doing?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

" Is this wrong what they are doing?"

No, it's not wrong. The seller is using Walmart as a dropshipper. Some use Amazon, others use the big box stores. Perfectly legitimate.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Anytime you buy anything, whether a seller on ebay or a retailer like Macy's, Home Depot, or anywhere else, you're going to pay more than your seller did for the item! Sellers are in business to make a profit.

When you purchased the items, you knew the prices you were going to pay. Apparently, those prices were acceptable to you or you'd have hit the back button and found a different seller.

So what difference does it make to you that the seller made a profit. That's the great thing about living in a capitalist society. Sellers can charge as much or as little as they want and buyers can decide whether they want to pay that price.

cap·i·tal·ism
ˈkapədlˌizəm/
noun
noun: capitalism
  1. an economic and political system in which a country's trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit, rather than by the state.
    synonyms: free enterprise, private enterprise, the free market;
    "the capitalism of emerging nations"
    antonyms: communism

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Well, I happen to think that if people sell from Walmart and directly ship from Walmart, it gives Ebay a bad name and eventually, it will cause problems for Ebay because people FEEL scammed.      Is it legal?  Yes.   But it's not a legitimate way to make money.     It is sleezy.    I learned my lesson and I buy much less on Ebay and more on Walmart and I check prices before I bid.     You can justify it to yourself, but people FEEL cheated when they realize what you are doing.     Eventually it will stop because people catch on and it leaves a bad taste in their mouth toward, not only you as a vendor, but toward Ebay as a whole.      And if Ebay does nothing to stop it, as they will not because they get a piece of the pie, but eventually it will lead to their downfall.     Everything corrupts itself over time, including Ebay as the con artists learn ways to make a fast buck.     Just because something is legal does not make it right.    I, for one, buy much, much less on ebay.  I go to Walmart directly now.     People are not stupid as you think they are.    

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

This is such a great post. The last few times I tried to buy on EBay I found the product was mis identified or of lesser quality or condition and had to deal with the return and negotiation to return the item. I learned my lesson and avoid Ebay for the purchase and just go there for information.
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

If you feel offended by it; do NOT go to EBAY at all and buy it frtom some other source. It is Your right to do so. As it is the right of anyone that is selling to find a supplier of their choice.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Wow, now you look at other sites or businesses to make sure that you are getting the best price?  What a great idea, you are a regular Einstein!!  Honestly, you never looked anywhere else before to see if you could get a better discount on an item? Very strange way of shopping, like you’re not worried about the money. So why are you worried about it now?

By the way, when you sell things on eBay, do you just sell to get your money back for what you paid for an item, do you purposefully sell for less to give someone a good deal, or do you actually try to make a couple bucks on an item? I would bet that you try to make a little bit of money. And whoever buys your item should do their due diligence and make sure they can’t get it cheaper somewhere else so they don’t cry like a little baby about it later. 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

....apm6175511,  presuming you did your research for the best price delivered, it is still no indication that you could have purchased from Walmart, Amazon, Lowes, etc. for the same price as you paid the seller.

....As an example, Walmart has a minimum order for delivery and unless a Prime member that you pay for, so does Amazon. And then don't forget about sales tax, etc. Add that Lowes, Home Depot, even Walmart has various prices by location, we have purchased many items on eBay that were delivered cheaper than if bought direct from whomever item was drop shipped from.... and more often than not, better packaged with quick delivery.

....Meanwhile, why don't you have the same problem with Walmart that purchased the items they sell from someone else, or they are making a profit from 3rd party sales advertised on their site that are drop shipped from that seller? .... They don't manufacture anything.

....But now, it is all good because you are a better buyer because of researching before purchasing. Who knows, you may even become an eBay seller if you can find the deals.... 🙂

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I failed to adequately price compare an item, just feeling like the eBay seller's price was good.  Well the package came from Amazon.  So I checked.  Yes, it was cheaper.  We are talking a couple of dollars.  I think the seller was clever and deserved the money for being clever.  I'll live.  I love what I got and so...no big deal.  It was not dishonesty on the seller's part.

Truth be told, other sellers on eBay offered the item at least as cheaply as any Amazon seller.  I overpaid by a little and it was all my own fault.  I don't really care where an item comes from so long as it is what I ordered and  is as described.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Exactly.  Thank you.  Well said.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@apm61755l1 wrote:

Has anybody noticed that there are vendors selling on Ebay and when you bid on an item and get it, it ships directly from Walmart and then you feel like you were scammed because they buy it cheaper and pocket the difference and let Walmart ship it to me.   I bought chair cushions and this happened and then I bought a pair of Wahl clippers and this happened and I am beginning to get disgusted with Ebay, like it's just a bunch of scam artists selling on ebay.   Next time I will go to Walmart directly.    Is this wrong what they are doing?

I live in NW rural colorado 180 miles from most retail shopping. I look at all prices before buying. If a seller has done my shopping for me and gets it to me without my having to drive 6 hours round trip and spend $50 to $75 dollars for gas and expenses I consider it a deal. I do not have or care to have big box stores in my backyard. So thank you to the seller who does. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

To sell an item for a profit is not wrong

Drop shipping is not always against policy depending on the type but if not done right it could be against policy

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/posting-items/setting-postage-options/drop-shipping?id=4176

However, listing an item on eBay and then purchasing the item from another retailer or marketplace that ships directly to your customer is not allowed on eBay. In such cases, we may remove your listings from search, display them lower in search results, or remove them completely from the site. We may also limit, restrict or suspend your ability to buy, sell, or use site features on eBay, and you could lose any special status and/or discounts associated with your account.

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@apm61755l1 wrote:

Well, I happen to think that if people sell from Walmart and directly ship from Walmart, it gives Ebay a bad name and eventually, it will cause problems for Ebay because people FEEL scammed. 

This is the silliest thing I've heard on these forums in a long time. When I buy something I check the total price at Ebay, Amazon and the big box stores. If I can buy it the cheapest here, I couldn't care less where it's shipped from.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

business baby
Message 14 of 14
latest reply