cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to make or find a "Sliding" Screen Door Guard that is 38" wide x 36" tall with no luck

Hi, My husband is trying to help our neighbor who's dog keeps pushing the screen out in her sliding screen door on an enclosed poarch.  The normal size door guards are 30" wide (the measurements they show are with the tabs) which won't work since the dog will still be able to get to the edges which is where she is pulling the screen out of the chanel.    This screen is 36" wide with a 2" metal frame on each side so it needs to be between 36" and 40".  We went to Tractor Supply today and spent an hour or so at Home depot.  I was hoping for something you could see through although that isn't an absolute necessity.  Plexiglass is VERY Expensive.  There is vinyl lattuce but her paws are small enough they may get caught in it.  Metal mesh won't have finished edges so that makes us worry about her getting cut.  Wood would work if it was painted to help protect it from the weather but it will get scratched up pretty quickly.  It seems like there is something we aren't thinking of but we don't know what.   The holes need to be less than 1" and it has to be sturdy enough not to bend in when she pushes on it since this may also push the screen out.   I have googled it and looked on other websites along with the leg work at the hardware stores.   Any ideas?  We are just stuck.   

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Trying to make or find a "Sliding" Screen Door Guard that is 38" wide x 36" tall with no luck

do a web/pet store search for dog gates and just put one in front of the door.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

sorry for the delay,unsure if my suggestion is any use,but here goes.i had similar issue with my dog/door in my travel trailer(camper),bought an adjustable screen protector(alum.) from Camping World.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Get a cattle prod.  Only have to use it once and then you can resell it on eBay!!

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I had 3 dogs from medium to large size. I had my carpenter attach the vinyl lattice to the screen door from the bottom of the door to halfway up the door.  There was a space of about 1" between the lattice and the screen. No hurt or stuck paws and it worked like a charm.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply