cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stanley Toolbox or custom made?

I have this toolbox from an estate buy out, it appears to be a junction box or electrical enclosure (wall hanging) that someone added a handle and latch to.  The latch has Stanley on it but I couldnt find any Stanley tool chest that would be like this...so is it custom made with Stanley hardware from a different toolbox?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

No idea what it is but those parts all appear to be original to the box.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

At one time or another the Stanley name has been on a huge variety of products.  I'd guess that at one time they either 1- had a line of junction boxes or B- sold latches to a company that made that box

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I definitely am aware of the stanley label being used on many things, as well as stanley making items under private label for other companies.  This makes sense of course but do junction boxes have handles like this normally?

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

No I don't think the handle is a factory part.  It looks like it color wise but to me it appears to have been tack welded on later.  

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Yeah, panel made into a locking box with handle.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Custom made.  The latch is definitely a Stanley part, though.

Cool piece.  Kinda folk-arty in a way.  Makes you think how many trades kids back then learned in high school for free.  Today's kids don't even know how to change a tire or make ice.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply