cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pressure Washers Too Good to be True

Anyone know what's up with the Troy Bilt Pressure Washers listed as new at about 60% retail by new Ebay sellers with no history?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I haven't seen these items as you describe, but it reminds me of a listing for an expensive electric shaver being offered for a fraction of it's normal retail. The sale price was $16.58 or something close to that, and the razors were selling elsewhere on ebay for over $100.
The seller had no history on ebay, and the listing said 9 available as I recall.
They were selling quite fast, and as one sold the available amount would automatically raise back up to 9.
It turned out that the seller was a fraud, and nobody ever got their razor.
There were well over 1,000 buy-it-now payments made before ebay took the listing down and closed the account.
That seller was listed as being in China by the way.
It's always good to be very cautious with listings that seem too good to be true.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

My thoughts exactly.  If someone had stumbled on a lot of new pressure washers (or anything else) that could be (legally) sold for, say, 75% of retail, why would they put them out there at 50% or less? Because they're such good humanitarians?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Not long ago, Lowes had Troy Built snowblowers for around 30% cheaper than anyone else and about 50% of retail (if you can believe retail prices that are all over the board) .... they probably ordered 100,000 or more for all their stores. So, it is possible.

That said, no feedback throws a red flag, at least for me, but everyone has to start somewhere. I usually send an email and see how long it takes for them to respond ... and since Troy Built's are actually built in the USA (Cleveland by MTD), if they can type fluently in English.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for your insight.  I think the lesson for all on-line buyers is do some research, check with the community, weigh the facts and finally, trust your instincts.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

It's a new trend on ebay, A seller will open an account list something that is to good to be true, troll 2 to 3 people in get paid and close the account and paypal.  A telltale sign a Zero  0   score no feedback...... As always look at the Sellers feedback score...

Message 6 of 6
latest reply