cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I hand wash or seal painted wood buttons for for use on garments?

Has anyone used painted , wood buttons for garments or other sewing projects? Do they fall apart or loose the paint when hand washed? If so, can they be sealed, or would that ruin them?

When it comes to all the beautiful fabrics and notions available, I'm like a monkey chasing after shiny objects. These were so pretty and inexpensive it didn't even occur to me they might not be sealed.

Thanks very much!

I ordered these yesterday...

Floral Wooden Buttons.JPG

And these...

Green Floral Wooden Buttons.JPG

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Wouldn't your seller be the one to ask?  No experience with these but would think they would be best used on items that do not get washed regular - purses, hats, crafts, etc.  They are super cute!  Checking out some painted wood button listings it would appear they are advertised for scrapbooking.  You could experiment with sealing some yourself since they come in lots.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

@whiteparrot2003 wrote:

Wouldn't your seller be the one to ask?  No experience with these but would think they would be best used on items that do not get washed regular - purses, hats, crafts, etc.  They are super cute!  Checking out some painted wood button listings it would appear they are advertised for scrapbooking.  You could experiment with sealing some yourself since they come in lots.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer! Yes, the seller would be the one to ask, and I did. Even though it's only a few dollars, I don't think it's wise to rely solely on their answer. My generation's parents were born during the Depression. I swear, my grandparents permanently tattooed, "Waste not, want not!" on my brain. Smiley Wink

You read my mind. I chose the cheapest type that appealed to me so I would have more than enough to experiment--and still have plenty left to share with friends.

To me, it looks like buttons eBay sellers are calling "painted" may be done using a process I've seen before. The image is silkscreened onto acetate, then bonded to the wood using heat or glue...or whatever, I'm not sure. I couldn't find a complete "how to." I did find other sites selling the same buttons, but labeled silkscreened.

If that's the case, then it's not paint that might wash off. It could be very easy to seal the buttons well enough to prevent damage when hand washed.

I know most people wouldn't bother with this much detail. I lost 120 lbs. very quickly, and plan to alter the majority of my wardrobe to cut down expenses--and there's A LOT. If I'm going to go to the trouble of resizing/repurposing that much, I want it to be fun, and I want the end product to be unique.

So, your input is much appreciated. If I can reciprocate, please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks again!!

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I asked in a craft shop about putting modge podge on them to make waterproof but they were not sure if it would work. 

I'm in the same situation I bought some to put on knitted clothes. 

I'll be contacting the modge podge company and asking and also seeing if there is any sort of liquid resin that I might be able to use on them. 

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@bonanao.ddxxft wrote:

I asked in a craft shop about putting modge podge on them to make waterproof but they were not sure if it would work. 

I'll be contacting the modge podge company and asking and also seeing if there is any sort of liquid resin that I might be able to use on them. 

Great idea! I was thinking a little clear nail polish, but it would eventually wash off. Thanks very much for replying!

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

You may want to google "removable buttons" . This is an easy alternative to permanently  sewing the buttons on the garments. They can be removed for washing/cleaning the garment.

jules

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@jules788sales wrote:

You may want to google "removable buttons" . This is an easy alternative to permanently  sewing the buttons on the garments. They can be removed for washing/cleaning the garment.

jules

Ha ha! The first thing that popped into my head was those awful **bleep** white, no-sew, plastic buttons that come in a little clear container...they shouldn't be allowed to exist. 😉

I checked out the removable buttons and there seems to be a great variety of beautiful options. Thanks very much for the suggestion!

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@bpaulsen10 wrote:

@jules788sales wrote:

jules

Ha ha! The first thing that popped into my head was those awful **bleep** white, no-sew, plastic buttons that come in a little clear container...they shouldn't be allowed to exist. 😉

I checked out the removable buttons and there seems to be a great variety of beautiful options. Thanks very much for the suggestion!

Wow, I have no idea what the "bleep" is for...

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

In General NO
There is no way to permanently seal wood buttons, even if they have been painted to hold up to modern washing machines & cloths dryers.
However, you can discuss the problem with the buyer, if you are the seller; recommend hand washing and air drying. 
...But...
The very use of a painted button, putting it in and out of the button hole, will ware away the pant or sealant on the surface, exposing the wood to moisture. 
Once moisture can reach the wood it will expand and contract every time it is wet/washed then allowed to dry.  This will eventually cause the painting to flake away from the surface.  
Unfortunately it is the nature of the beast.
If they are really unique art buttons (shank buttons or you have to create a thread shank with a waxed thread) and the garment unusual enough to warrant the time & effort you can make the buttons removable before washing. 
Best way to do this is to create a small hole in the garment where the button will be attached using an awl.  Then embroidering around the whole (actually creating a very small circular button hole).  You can then insert the shank of the button into this hole and use a metal clip to keep it there (like the clips that hold buttons to button cards) - same idea but on a garment.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Hi Nancy,

It was very sweet of you to take the time to create such a detailed response. I've had some health issues and haven't had a chance to use the buttons yet, so your input was a doubly-nice surprise!

I wouldn't necessarily say the buttons are precious. They were very inexpensive, but made of coconut wood with a hand-painted white and green flower...pretty enough to be one of those little treasures we all save for the perfect garment.

I genuinely appreciate your suggestions and can't wait to learn a new technique. THANK YOU!!

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@bpaulsen10 wrote:

@bonanao.ddxxft wrote:

Great idea! I was thinking a little clear nail polish, but it would eventually wash off. Thanks very much for replying!

Actually since they are relatively inexpensive; provided you hand wash & line dry, clear nail polish is a good idea.  Just build up coats slowly. 
REM what I said about any coating wearing and exposing the wood; advantage of nail polish is you can renew it periodically as needed.  Resin would be good, but I would test it.  I have had resins peel on wood that expands & contracts.
Good luck with your project 🙂

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@jules788sales wrote:

jules

Thank You!
Marlow White's Removable Button Strip (no, I am not she)  Very cleave!  Exactly what I was talking about, but in a strip with pre done holes.   I am old enough not to have thought of doing an Internet search 🙂  on this type of subject.
I learned to do this when I was a teenager, working for a custom tailor.  Yet it would never have occurred to me to make a strip out of it.  Totally excellent. 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply