cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antique furniture

funchoice
Thrill-Seeker

Hi,

I have some furniture is over 50 years. Can I put down it is antique? Does it count as an antique if it is over 50 years or more than 50 years?

Thanks for your help.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Antique furniture

@funchoice,

The strict definition of Antique is a piece is over 100 years old. Anything made less than 100 ago but more than 25 years ago is vintage. Items less than 25 years old are considered contemporary or modern.

However, those lines are somewhat blurred these days. If an item was made in the late 1920s, you wouldn't get much argument that it was antique.

Certain categories have even more lenience in calling something an antique. Radios, didn't really catch on until the 1920s, before that most wirelessly transmitted signals were still in morse code. Few companies produced radios commercially before then. So a 1925 radio could be called an antique.

Furniture from practically each period of the 20th century has a label or era attached to it.  Art Deco, Baroque, Mid Century Modern, etc.  So you may want to do some research before listing a piece, so you attract buyers interested in the items.

Something you will really need to consider is how you are going to set up shipping.  Dressers, Couches, Love seats, will cost a lot to ship, so you may want to have buyers arrange for shipping (Freight) , or list the items as local pick up only. Even smaller pieces can give you limited options UPS for example. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Antique furniture

Thank you very much. I have learned a lot from you.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply