cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is crocheting and sewing a dying art? :((

I used to be an avid crocheter, sewer and smocker.  If I sat down for two minutes, I was working on something creative.  Now, fast forward 30 years.  I have grandbabies, full time job and no time to do anything else.  I have tons of smocking and sewing and crocheting stuff just sitting here.  Boxes and boxes of heirloom fabric. I could probably open a craft store and have full inventory lol. I miss it so much, but there are not enough hours in the day for me to even begin a project.  Which leads me to this...is it just me or is this the way the trend is going now?  I have thought about selling most of my stuff as my daughters are not interested at all in it.  However, when I search ebay for completed listings, it seems that this type of stuff  doesnt even have much of a market 😞  What little I have listed didn't even sell.  Is this a dying art?

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Re: Is crocheting and sewing a dying art? :((

I"m 33...I don't crochet, but I do sew/quilt as much as I can. but other life stuff gets in the way.

I do say (often) that if I could i'd just sew all day long.

I wanted to get started crocheting, but I haven't found the time, lol. I thought perhaps this winter when it's cold and we stay in the house more, I could figure out how to make my own dishclothes!

Hot freight...pays good...Inline's gots ta go...whoop & ride, Honey, whoop & ride...Clark T Berendes 2-5-78 to 7-5-10
Message 2 of 41
latest reply

It makes me sad that our world is at such a fast pace now.  I sometimes dream about sewing or crocheting ( I even had an original croceht pattern published once lol) but there are just not enough hours in the day.  I fear that our future generations will not even know what a joy it is to sit and create something out of fabric and yarn!  I have two adult daughters and I know that if something happened to me, they would probably just chunk all this treasured crafting stuff if I still have any!

Message 3 of 41
latest reply

i have a hard time giving sewing machines away sometimes

i pitch boxes of needles threads zippers and all the other tiny little stuff

it seems like most of the Boomer groups had all the accourtremennt s

altho i do occasionally run into good vintage patterns

**************************************************************************************** 1934 vappleton it was not until early next morning,when the last electrical connection had been repaired that TOM,weary but confident, gav the order:
TRY HER NOW!
Message 4 of 41
latest reply

Sometimes I remark on this topic -- because I truly believe that making our own clothing is a dying art, but then I look at sewing machines on eBay and see that $6,000 sewing machines have 17 bids.  What are they sewing on a $6,000 sewing machine? I really wish I had the ability to ask these buyers -- just out of idle curiosity.  

Message 5 of 41
latest reply

I crochet and knit, I sew sometimes but not as much as I used to. It has everything to do with my machine being tucked away in a corner.

I do work in a craft store and I can tell you that our yarn sales have been going up and up in the past 3 years and our fabric sales are always high.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always take a banana to a party, bananas are good! - Ten
Message 6 of 41
latest reply

I was happy to see your post.  It's good to know fabric is still selling well.  What kind are buyers selecting?

Do you think part of the increase in yarn sales has to do with the wider variety of yarns now available and the many great ideas for knitters? A woman I know has shown me this stuff, not really yarn per se, but more like sheer fabric with holes punched in the edge which she uses to make those ruffly scarves. The variety of available colors is huge.   It might be called "Sachet"? She can sell as many as she can make just to friends, family and by word of mouth.  

A final comment:  I envy your place of employment.  I would love just to see and feel all the merchandise, but I see it as a losing situation for me because I would be unable to resist all the new stuff.

Thank you for posting. 

Message 7 of 41
latest reply

I do think the new yarns and wider variety are involved in the increase in sales. The new ribbon yarns are so easy to make scarves out of that even novice knitters and crocheters are picking it up.

I also think the variety of patterns out there (something for pretty much anyone) has something to do with it. People used to think of knitting and crochet as "grandma hobbies" and that view is changing.

Another factor, I think anyway, is the economy. You can make some things cheaper than you can buy them and there is a certain chic in saving money these days. It used to be people bragged about how much money they spent, now it's bragging about how much you saved, lol.

As for the fabric, I think the patterned cottons sell the best. We get a lot of ladies who make dresses, quilts, bags, etc. to sell.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 8 of 41
latest reply

I got in my craft room this morning just to see what all I could find.  I kid you not, I have 5 large storage boxes full of heirloom fabric.  Not much yarn, but tons of fabric and tons of sewing stuff.  I guess I have every one of Australian Smocking magazines and Creative Needle magazines and all the Childrens Corner patterns, etc.  I have two large bookcases filled with all these patterns and magazines.  Binders full of smocking plates. There are two smocking pleaters and tons of ribbon and thread and buttons.  That is only the tip of the iceberg lol.  Two large storage boxes full of crochet patterns, some very old from when I started crafting in he 1970's.  Lots of memories. Sigh.  I guess I am a craft COLLECTOR instead of a craft DOER. lol.  I thought about doing a yard sale but I just don't think that would bring what they are worth.  It would be nice if one of my daughters had an interest in some of it.  Sigh.  I wonder if Etsy would have a better market for this type stuff??

Message 9 of 41
latest reply

I do think Etsy would be a better place. People seem to be willing to pay closer to what craft items are worth over there.

Message 10 of 41
latest reply

Thank you so much for providing me with a new description of myself.  I believe that I, too, am a CRAFT COLLECTOR rather than a CRAFT DOER.

My collection is  mainly doll clothes patterns, including many that are 35-40 years old as well as doll clothing pattern books.  I do sew doll clothes, but, really, did I need to buy every single pattern as soon as it came out?

My fabric collection is no small thing either, but I mostly limit myself to thrift store and yard sale finds.  My entire sewing room, when I die, goes to my second daughter who is an avid seamstress and I hope she will enjoy it.  When she whittles it down to a more manageable size, I asked her to please give it to GW or some place and not just toss it into the giant dumpster that I am sure will be parked in my front yard the day following the funeral! 

Message 11 of 41
latest reply

Morning Ladies!

No, crocheting and sewing are definately not dying.

The internet is flooded with how to crochet and sew videos

and all the yarn and thread companies are online as well as

selling in  the brick and mortar stores.

Fabric places too.

I love Amy Butler fabrics.

The children's boutique avenue has many small business women

sewing  boutique items from home.

Ebay has lots of new crochet items as well as the estate lot doilies,

but I do believe ebay has more of a flea market type buyer than the

ones willing to pay good money for good work.

I don't know at the times people have emailed me on different things

wanting to know "would you be willing to sell it for this price" type

question, and I don't sell high to start with.

Message 12 of 41
latest reply

Not at all a dying art. I sell my own baby crochet patterns, with reasonable success on Etsy. 

The demographics are almost evenly divided between grandmothers and young mothers.

Message 13 of 41
latest reply

my meaning was as a percentage of people who do

not too many years ago
every home had a sewing machine

many that have one now
got it from dead relative
use it as a lamp stand
and do not use

there is in fact a vibrant market
kinda niche compared to heyday of shops everywhere

and the truth that i see on a regular basis

many many folks
buy a pattern and some material
a button or two

some even get around to cutting the pattern out

but i have seens boxes and closets and cabinets and underbeds
stuffed with the "i'm gonna make one of those wait dexter's on "

or what ever show thing that distracts

**************************************************************************************** 1934 vappleton it was not until early next morning,when the last electrical connection had been repaired that TOM,weary but confident, gav the order:
TRY HER NOW!
Message 14 of 41
latest reply

I wouldn't say that any of these are a dying art, but all of the classic needlework skills (with the exception of quilting) seem to have been at a low point of interest for a while. Knitting and crochet seem to be coming back, though; they're very portable and good for killing time before doctor's appointments and the like.

Personally, I love the looks that I get when I'm cooling my heels at, say, the airport, and pull out my embroidery hoop to work on an Arts & Crafts Movement design that I found in a 100-year-old needlework catalog.
Message 15 of 41
latest reply