Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bookmark Share Post
Highlighted

Is crocheting and sewing a dying art? :((

Is crocheting and sewing a dying art? :((

laurensmom18
Pathfinder

I used to be an avid crocheter, sewer and smocker.  If I sat down for two minutes, I was working on something creative.  Now, fast forward 30 years.  I have grandbabies, full time job and no time to do anything else.  I have tons of smocking and sewing and crocheting stuff just sitting here.  Boxes and boxes of heirloom fabric. I could probably open a craft store and have full inventory lol. I miss it so much, but there are not enough hours in the day for me to even begin a project.  Which leads me to this...is it just me or is this the way the trend is going now?  I have thought about selling most of my stuff as my daughters are not interested at all in it.  However, when I search ebay for completed listings, it seems that this type of stuff  doesnt even have much of a market Smiley Sad  What little I have listed didn't even sell.  Is this a dying art?

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES

Re: Is crocheting and sewing a dying art? :((

in reply to Sep 27, 2013 9:53:01 AM
fredi*frogi
Guide

I"m 33...I don't crochet, but I do sew/quilt as much as I can. but other life stuff gets in the way.

I do say (often) that if I could i'd just sew all day long.

I wanted to get started crocheting, but I haven't found the time, lol. I thought perhaps this winter when it's cold and we stay in the house more, I could figure out how to make my own dishclothes!

Hot freight...pays good...Inline's gots ta go...whoop & ride, Honey, whoop & ride...Clark T Berendes 2-5-78 to 7-5-10
Message 2 of 41

in reply to Sep 27, 2013 11:30:31 AM
laurensmom18
Pathfinder

It makes me sad that our world is at such a fast pace now.  I sometimes dream about sewing or crocheting ( I even had an original croceht pattern published once lol) but there are just not enough hours in the day.  I fear that our future generations will not even know what a joy it is to sit and create something out of fabric and yarn!  I have two adult daughters and I know that if something happened to me, they would probably just chunk all this treasured crafting stuff if I still have any!

Message 3 of 41

in reply to Sep 27, 2013 12:01:44 PM
due2cents
Trailblazer
i have a hard time giving sewing machines away sometimes

i pitch boxes of needles threads zippers and all the other tiny little stuff

it seems like most of the Boomer groups had all the accourtremennt s

altho i do occasionally run into good vintage patterns

**************************************************************************************** 1934 vappleton it was not until early next morning,when the last electrical connection had been repaired that TOM,weary but confident, gav the order:
TRY HER NOW!
Message 4 of 41

in reply to Sep 27, 2013 4:01:26 PM
Rockstar

Sometimes I remark on this topic -- because I truly believe that making our own clothing is a dying art, but then I look at sewing machines on eBay and see that $6,000 sewing machines have 17 bids.  What are they sewing on a $6,000 sewing machine? I really wish I had the ability to ask these buyers -- just out of idle curiosity.  

Message 5 of 41

in reply to Sep 27, 2013 6:47:23 PM
triyarn
Rockstar
Last Edited 06:47:52 PM

I crochet and knit, I sew sometimes but not as much as I used to. It has everything to do with my machine being tucked away in a corner.

I do work in a craft store and I can tell you that our yarn sales have been going up and up in the past 3 years and our fabric sales are always high.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always take a banana to a party, bananas are good! - Ten
Message 6 of 41

in reply to Sep 28, 2013 6:24:00 AM
Rockstar

I was happy to see your post.  It's good to know fabric is still selling well.  What kind are buyers selecting?

Do you think part of the increase in yarn sales has to do with the wider variety of yarns now available and the many great ideas for knitters? A woman I know has shown me this stuff, not really yarn per se, but more like sheer fabric with holes punched in the edge which she uses to make those ruffly scarves. The variety of available colors is huge.   It might be called "Sachet"? She can sell as many as she can make just to friends, family and by word of mouth.  

A final comment:  I envy your place of employment.  I would love just to see and feel all the merchandise, but I see it as a losing situation for me because I would be unable to resist all the new stuff.

Thank you for posting. 

Message 7 of 41

in reply to Sep 28, 2013 8:33:29 AM
triyarn
Rockstar

I do think the new yarns and wider variety are involved in the increase in sales. The new ribbon yarns are so easy to make scarves out of that even novice knitters and crocheters are picking it up.

I also think the variety of patterns out there (something for pretty much anyone) has something to do with it. People used to think of knitting and crochet as "grandma hobbies" and that view is changing.

Another factor, I think anyway, is the economy. You can make some things cheaper than you can buy them and there is a certain chic in saving money these days. It used to be people bragged about how much money they spent, now it's bragging about how much you saved, lol.

As for the fabric, I think the patterned cottons sell the best. We get a lot of ladies who make dresses, quilts, bags, etc. to sell.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 8 of 41

in reply to Sep 28, 2013 10:27:08 AM
laurensmom18
Pathfinder

I got in my craft room this morning just to see what all I could find.  I kid you not, I have 5 large storage boxes full of heirloom fabric.  Not much yarn, but tons of fabric and tons of sewing stuff.  I guess I have every one of Australian Smocking magazines and Creative Needle magazines and all the Childrens Corner patterns, etc.  I have two large bookcases filled with all these patterns and magazines.  Binders full of smocking plates. There are two smocking pleaters and tons of ribbon and thread and buttons.  That is only the tip of the iceberg lol.  Two large storage boxes full of crochet patterns, some very old from when I started crafting in he 1970's.  Lots of memories. Sigh.  I guess I am a craft COLLECTOR instead of a craft DOER. lol.  I thought about doing a yard sale but I just don't think that would bring what they are worth.  It would be nice if one of my daughters had an interest in some of it.  Sigh.  I wonder if Etsy would have a better market for this type stuff??

Message 9 of 41

in reply to Sep 28, 2013 4:18:46 PM
triyarn
Rockstar

I do think Etsy would be a better place. People seem to be willing to pay closer to what craft items are worth over there.

Message 10 of 41

in reply to Sep 29, 2013 4:09:33 AM
Rockstar

Thank you so much for providing me with a new description of myself.  I believe that I, too, am a CRAFT COLLECTOR rather than a CRAFT DOER.

My collection is  mainly doll clothes patterns, including many that are 35-40 years old as well as doll clothing pattern books.  I do sew doll clothes, but, really, did I need to buy every single pattern as soon as it came out?

My fabric collection is no small thing either, but I mostly limit myself to thrift store and yard sale finds.  My entire sewing room, when I die, goes to my second daughter who is an avid seamstress and I hope she will enjoy it.  When she whittles it down to a more manageable size, I asked her to please give it to GW or some place and not just toss it into the giant dumpster that I am sure will be parked in my front yard the day following the funeral! 

Message 11 of 41

in reply to Sep 29, 2013 7:38:55 AM
cathy1751
Guide

Morning Ladies!

No, crocheting and sewing are definately not dying.

The internet is flooded with how to crochet and sew videos

and all the yarn and thread companies are online as well as

selling in  the brick and mortar stores.

Fabric places too.

I love Amy Butler fabrics.

The children's boutique avenue has many small business women

sewing  boutique items from home.

Ebay has lots of new crochet items as well as the estate lot doilies,

but I do believe ebay has more of a flea market type buyer than the

ones willing to pay good money for good work.

I don't know at the times people have emailed me on different things

wanting to know "would you be willing to sell it for this price" type

question, and I don't sell high to start with.

Message 12 of 41

in reply to Sep 29, 2013 10:28:01 PM
peterspatterns
Pathfinder

Not at all a dying art. I sell my own baby crochet patterns, with reasonable success on Etsy. 

The demographics are almost evenly divided between grandmothers and young mothers.

Message 13 of 41

in reply to Sep 30, 2013 6:03:40 AM
due2cents
Trailblazer
my meaning was as a percentage of people who do

not too many years ago
every home had a sewing machine

many that have one now
got it from dead relative
use it as a lamp stand
and do not use

there is in fact a vibrant market
kinda niche compared to heyday of shops everywhere

and the truth that i see on a regular basis

many many folks
buy a pattern and some material
a button or two

some even get around to cutting the pattern out

but i have seens boxes and closets and cabinets and underbeds
stuffed with the "i'm gonna make one of those wait dexter's on "

or what ever show thing that distracts

**************************************************************************************** 1934 vappleton it was not until early next morning,when the last electrical connection had been repaired that TOM,weary but confident, gav the order:
TRY HER NOW!
Message 14 of 41

in reply to Oct 7, 2013 12:26:55 AM
mistyislesdesigns
Adventurer
I wouldn't say that any of these are a dying art, but all of the classic needlework skills (with the exception of quilting) seem to have been at a low point of interest for a while. Knitting and crochet seem to be coming back, though; they're very portable and good for killing time before doctor's appointments and the like.

Personally, I love the looks that I get when I'm cooling my heels at, say, the airport, and pull out my embroidery hoop to work on an Arts & Crafts Movement design that I found in a 100-year-old needlework catalog.
Message 15 of 41

in reply to Oct 7, 2013 4:50:36 AM
Rockstar

I, too, have found that carrying some small piece of hand work to do while in a waiting room will attract more than one pleasant inquiry and can lead to an interesting conversation.

I make doll clothes and I often carry a bag with my latest project and its buttons or its trims to work on while waiting. It is more rewarding than the available reading material which is often Outdoor Life or Motor Trend.

People begin to reminisce about their mom or their grandma and about the dresses or shirts made for them.  People will talk about the prom dress or the Barbie clothes.  Call me crazy, but I find this to be a very wonderful and small part of an enjoyable everyday life.  A good friend of my daughter's knits those pretty ruffly scarves and sometimes winds up giving an impromptu lesson in the waiting room! 

Message 16 of 41

in reply to Oct 9, 2013 8:09:40 AM
triyarn
Rockstar

Most of the time, I get positive reactions to knitting/crocheting in public but...

I took my mom in for an x-ray a couple of weeks ago and I was knitting a little ID holder for my daughter while waiting. This man starts up a conversation with me about it, he was sweet as he could be. He turns to his wife and asks "Honey, didn't your mom knit?" She replies, very nastily, "Yes, but I would never use something HOMEMADE, it's tacky!" The guy was seriously embarrassed by his wife. I just laughed and told him that homemade just means it has love in it. After my mom was done, the woman was passing us on the way out and she complimented my bracelet. I told her, with an eat dirt smile, "Thanks, I made it myself." The look on her face was classic.

Message 17 of 41

in reply to Oct 11, 2013 3:35:30 AM
gopetersen
Rockstar

Life is more complicated than it used to be.

In the past you could address a letter to John Doe, Local and it would get to John Doe in your town.

Now it needs a house number, a street address, a city, a state, a zip+4.

Pretty much everything else has gone the same way.

I have to remember more than 300 passwords. How many passwords did people have to remember in the 1950s and 1960s? Maybe one for a school or gym locker?

How many computer programs do you need to know, how many Internet utilities? None of that was necessary prior to the late 1970s.

I have to sell to people all over the world in all time zones. That's 24/7.

I have no time for crafting any more, unless it's for resale. I wish I did.

Message 18 of 41

in reply to Nov 27, 2013 9:16:04 AM
sew734
Trailblazer
Last Edited 09:16:44 AM

I do not think it is a dying art.  My friend crochets all the time and she is teaching a teen neighbor to crochet, as well as her granddaughter.  I do  not crochet much anymmore due to fibromyalgia, but I will teach my daughter-in-law to crochet since she asked.  I purchased sewing machines for all my daughters-in-law and taught 3 of them to sew.  I recently sold a sewing machine to a young man who is making costumes for the civil war era.

I have taught sewing to my grandsons, granddaughters and some friends in the past 4 years.  Since sewing is no longer offered in schools, I get requests to teach others to sew.  I also teach them to get to know their sewing machine.  I have given instructions on sewing machine problems over the phone.   Due to the recession a lot of people want to know how to sew if for no other reason then to mend clothing.

Message 19 of 41

in reply to Nov 28, 2013 2:40:25 PM
cathy1751
Guide

Happy Thanksgiving!

This is the prime time to make afghans. mittens, scarves, hats, gloves.

Teenagers are crazy about the fingerless gloves and there are tons of

patterns for them on the internet.

You may find machine made knits, but it's not the same with crochet--

it is always hand made, so when you are given a crochet gift you can

appreciate that someone put some time into it.

As far as people saying they don't have enough time, I believe they mean

they don't want to spend their time crocheting. Because it looks to me like

people have plenty of time to watch utube, text, email, blog, and little of

that is productive with most folks, so  sorry, to me that is wasted time.

I used to put in about 60 hrs. a week at a textile mill and managed to

crochet on my break time and when the machine was waiting on supplies.

I even got my co-worker started crocheting along with me. It was like we

were in a race to see how many stitches we could get done before the

forklift driver came in with an order.

Most of the time it would only take him about 5 minutes, but depending on

what it was I could do about 3 or 4 rows, and it was also a great place to

sell things, 'cause people were constantly looking to see what I was making.

Look at all the gorgeous creations that are pinned on Pinterest and it is

amazing what people have come up with. Crochet is at one of it's most

creative era's in it's history, I believe.

Oh well, blabbed long enough. Time to check on the sweet potatoes. Lol, have to

cook a little more to go with what's left of the turkey and dressing now, since

we've already at at lunch.

Message 20 of 41