cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bill Ellsworth Retired Navy Pilot Original Etchings Help

island_moon
Enthusiast
I was wondering if anyone know's anything about this self taught artist Bill Ellsworth. I have a few of his original etchings but can't seem to find out very much about him & if his art work was or is popular. They are signed & numbered & most have a written caption under the subject matter. Most are Naval & some are Military bar scenes.. Hre is an example of his work. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the double post
Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Just an observation, the prints were done in small numbers like 15 or 18 only. That leads me to believe he was doing them to give away to friends and not sell them. I know nothing about art but I'd have to guess there's not enough of his art to make a real market that you could judge anything from.

I wonder of the Navy Art Museum in Washington DC has copies, you should ask them. They are in the Washington Navy Yard.
*************** What follows is sig line*************
I collect fine cannon models, full-size antique cannons and artillery accouterments.
Message 2 of 25
latest reply

island_moon
Enthusiast
thanks for the reply. I guess my real concern is, does anyone think that there may be a market for his etchings? He was a retired navy pilot & was in WWW II, Korea, & Vietnam. He was a self taught artist. I put one on ebay to see if I could get any response...I am hoping that maybe someone could lead me in the right direction to collectors of Military art. thanks
Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Military aviation is a big collector area, with lots of people looking to build collections. I'm guessing the prints will sell but don't have a clue how much they'll bring.
*************** What follows is sig line*************
I collect fine cannon models, full-size antique cannons and artillery accouterments.
Message 4 of 25
latest reply

island_moon
Enthusiast
thanks springfld...I guess I just see how it goes on ebay
Message 5 of 25
latest reply

I happened to stumble on your thread searching for information on Bill Ellsworth. I recently inherited artwork from local artists (I am originally from the area), including one of Bill Ellworth’s original etchings titled, “You’ve Done It Again, Ollie”, and is numbered 11/18. It appears he passed away in 2006. Not sure if you are still looking for data about your etchings, but if so, here are a few resources that may prove helpful to your search. As you will discover, he did sell his work. Perhaps the low numbers represent various series of works. Good luck.

http://www.airventuremuseum.org/art/art_2002.html

http://archive.org/stream/Virginia_Beach_Sun_1989-07/Virginia_Beach_Sun_1989-07_djvu.txt

https://www.jeffreysevans.com is a local and reputable auction company that appears to do well selling works of local artists and artifacts. They may or may not be able to provide you with some additional information.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Hi, I hope you found the info on Bill Ellworth. He started out doing oil paintings. Most of those are now in museums. Then he switched to watercolor. He finally settled on etchings. He was concerned because a lot of his following couldn't afford his oils or watercolors. When he was alive he sold in galliers in CA, Hawaii, VA etc His 8" by 10"s sold for around $125.00. Don't know price after he died. I hope you got good prices when you sold them on e-bay. He had many interests and painted on most of those subjects.As you could tell by a lot of his pictures his sence of humor was different and keen. Any other questions and I will try to answer them.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

I have a collection of Bill Ellsworth etchings, and am looking to acquire more. Do you still have any for sale?

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

Hi Tomcat, I was a friend of Bill Ellsworth. We were in Japan together and a few other stations. I have no pictures to sell. Are you only interested in etchings? I can try to contact one of his daughters that handled his estate. I have no idea what they would be selling for now. Bill's been dead about 10 years. I presume from your call sign you are interested in planes and carriers? Let me know what you are interested in and I will try to contact his daughters.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Hi, my name is Mike.  I have a painting done by him, it is framed and mounted in a 39"x 28" frame that I aquired in Utah during my last USAF assignment (1991).   It is a painting of a very small image of an air carrier that looks like the Enterprise on a huge background of sea and sky.  It is not very impressive to my eye and perhaps one of Ellsworth's earlier works.  His label is on the back side of the frame, and the paper backstop has some tears in it.  Anyone interested?

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

Fairfields - I'm sorry I never saw this post before now!  I wasn't a friend of Bill's, but I lived near him, and loved going to his house to buy his etchings.  He was a great guy, and a lot of fun to talk with.  If you are still in contact with his family, I would definitely be interested in hearing if they have any of his aircraft prints for sale.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

Hi Mike, The daughters were not to be found. One died. One in CA and one moved from Hawaii to I believe an island. It's like tonga Togua....part of Cook Islands. Sorry. His oil painting are VERY hard to find. Mostly in museams. I have one more friend to contact but he was in VAW. I'll see what he has. If you'd use my e-mail it would be faster.... Charlene

You said you had lived near them....what town? 

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Hi tomcat, My name is becky & I live on Maui.. I acquired a few of Bills etchings....All are signed & numbered....Are you still interested in acquiring more.   I think I sent you a message before but, don't know if you received it.... You can email me back if you like.......thanks & Aloha, becky

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Becky,

Thanks - I just sent you a PM. Yes, I am still interested in his work.

John

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

Nice one. His daughter lived in MAUI. He had a couple of Art Gallerys that he worked with there. Everyone that I knew and contacted didn't want to part with what they have. If I run across anything I'll let you know.  Charlene

Message 15 of 25
latest reply