cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAIN IN TOOTH LONG AFTER ROOT CANAL

I'm wondering if anyone can help me.
I've been going to a dental school to get cheaper prices on my dental work. The first thing they did was to tell me I needed a root canal and so I let them do it.

That was six months ago and it hurt after they did it. They kept saying the pain would wear off. I think it's also making my sinus blocked up and I have a sinus headache all the time.

Finally they did xrays and the head of endodontry said that the root canal looked beautiful. He tapped on my teeth and I almost went through the ceiling when he tapped lightly on the root canal tooth.

The he tested my teeth for cold and he said that it was the NEXT tooth to the root canal tooth that the gum was sensitive to cold.

He says THAT tooth needs a root canal.

Meanwhile, the original root canal tooth that they did is killing me. I can't chew on that side and even if I put my finger on that tooth it hurts.

I always though that after the nerve had been removed from a tooth you couldn't have pain. This is horrible. Can anyone help? TIA
Message 1 of 230
latest reply
229 REPLIES 229

misspuppydog
Enthusiast
yes, if antibiotics are making you feel better there probably is infection somewhere---

I would ask for a FMX -full mouth series of xrays-to rule out if any other teeth are abcessed.

Are any of your glands swollen in your neck?
If the tooth is infected it is generally easy to see in an xray.

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."

Be Careful
What You Wish For
One Day They'll Be Callin' You a RockStar
Message 31 of 230
latest reply

Thanks for the reply. Over a month ago the endodontist said she saw no sign of infection when she dug up inside that root canal tooth AND took xrays. It did stop hurting when she filled it with an antibiotic and some packing material.

My regular doctor refused to give me antibiotics last week because she said there is no scientific evidence without blood tests. She took blood tests and I haven't been able to talk with her since but the secretary told me that everything is ok.

Meanwhile, I can't go around being so fatiqued and staying in bed most of the time and now with the tooth hurting again. I have an appt with an ENT in a few weeks and I can always go back to the endodontist.

Today I put myself on antibiotics from last fall and am starting to feel better but I only have the three days worth. That's the full course though. No, I don't have swollen glands.
Message 32 of 230
latest reply

misspuppydog
Enthusiast
wait a sec----do you have a fever? I don't want to alarm you but do you have any heart problems? like a "leaky valve"
also known as heart murmur or Mitral valvle prolapse?

"To talk of many things:
Of cabbages--and kings--

Be Careful
What You Wish For
Message 33 of 230
latest reply

It's time you found a doctor who will listen.
I don't want to scare you either, but there was a young guy here who died of sepsis from an abscessed tooth. Dentist refused to treat him because he didn't have dental insurance.

Message 34 of 230
latest reply

misspuppydog
Enthusiast
that dentist should be barred from practice by his state.

"To talk of many things:
Of cabbages--and kings--

Be Careful
What You Wish For
Message 35 of 230
latest reply

misspuppydog
Enthusiast
It is very very rare to die from an infected tooth.

but--you can get a heart infection called a bacterial endocarditis from any dental procedure ---that is a VERY serious problem and often misdiagonose or not diagnosed.

get thee to a doctor and tell them !

"To talk of many things:
Of cabbages--and kings--

Be Careful
What You Wish For
Message 36 of 230
latest reply

No, I haven't had a fever at all, some little bit of chills but that's all.

I just finished the 3 day course of antibiotics and feel almost normal again. But how long will that last?

How do you find out if you have that heart thing? I've never had any heart problems.

The blood tests definitely showed no infection. She said it would have shown white blood cells if there was an infection.

What am I supposed to do? Take my records and get a new doctor?

I am going back to the endodontrist Thursday and she is going to clean out the root canal again and she said she'll do it a few more times but she tends to think that this is coming from my sinuses, not the tooth.

I have an appointment with an ENT guy in two weeks. Do you think I need to replace my regular doctor with someone new in addition to everything else?
Message 37 of 230
latest reply

misspuppydog
Enthusiast
well, if you have an endocarditis you have slt. fever and should have infection showing in a blood test.

the reason I ask is there are people who have an undiagnosed Mitral valve prolapse a/k/a heart murmur--or "leaky valve" and these folks must take antibiotic before dental treatment or they risk getting an infection inside their heart.

"To talk of many things:
Of cabbages--and kings--

Be Careful
What You Wish For
Message 38 of 230
latest reply

misspuppydog
Enthusiast
I don't think I would switch doctors--
they seem to be doing the right thing

"To talk of many things:
Of cabbages--and kings--

Be Careful
What You Wish For
Message 39 of 230
latest reply

holofiber222
Enthusiast
I have come to beleive over the last few years that teeth should just be pulled rather than all these root canals.

My own History: I have nearly died from sepsis from an incredibly painful swollen infected tooth that was pulled without any antibotics.
After that, I had a root canal - was just great - no pain, but it became infected one year later.
After that, I had an upper back tooth root canal and the dentist had to drill through a bone to retrive a root canal filler that went in too far! (the dentist lost the xrays after that one.)
That was 2 years ago..and the achy arthritic type pain is the side of my face.
I changed dentists 4 times. I now have a wonderful dentist. But, I am simply tired of all this dental work.
Admittedly it is nice to be able to chew all types of foods.

But, I start to think>>>>>>>>>>>I have 2 great aunts who are 87 and 88 years old -a few health problems, but were vital all their life.
They had false teeth in their 30's or before.

Doesn't make ya think?
Message 40 of 230
latest reply

holofiber222
Enthusiast
BTW...BACTRIM makes really ill. Increases blood Pressure(and I normally have low pressure), Lightheaded, sick to stomach..and these effects can last months after a course of Bactrim.
Just Google "bactrim"

Stay away from dental schools, if you can.

just my opinion. as I get all "riled up" here.
lol
Message 41 of 230
latest reply

misspuppydog
Enthusiast
Holofiber

I hear you...I really do.

sometimes a tooth is NOT WORTH it to do a root canal..

BUT

you do need teeth to chew with; dentures are awful for the most part

Implants--you are talkin' about 2500 to 3500 PER TOOTH!!!

"To talk of many things:
Of cabbages--and kings--

Be Careful
What You Wish For
Message 42 of 230
latest reply

misspuppydog
Enthusiast
SO HENCE MY MESSAGE:

take care --really good care--- of the ones you have.

floss CORRECTLY every single night of your life + use a sonicare toothbrush

I used to work for a dentist who would tell people

"I can't make better what God gave you"
He was so right.

"To talk of many things:
Of cabbages--and kings--

Be Careful
What You Wish For
Message 43 of 230
latest reply

Flossing is underrated. Floss 3x a day, that's what my hygienist friend tells us.

I hope you can get to the bottom of this, newenglandnew.

Message 44 of 230
latest reply

I CANNOT BELIEVE that after all this time this is still going on. I am the OP and the endo. dept at Tufts (the dental school where I had the root canal done) has treated the tooth several times now and the last time they game me a prescription antibiotic mouth wash.

The head of the dept there tried to tell me it was all due to Muscle Tension, my neck muscles were tight -- he gave me relaxation exercises to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE PAIN COMES FIRST, THE MUSCLE TENSION is due to the PAIN!

Well, I have been seeing an ENT for an unrelated sinus problem and have had a catscan. The hospital FORGOT to send the catscan to the ENT and to Tufts -- so I had to cancel the appointments with both.

I went to the hospital and got my catscan disk and will try to get an appt with the ENT guy asap. Tufts wanted me to see HIM to see what HE says.

But while I am waiting and am on this prescription mouthwash, the pain seemed to subside but is now getting bad again.

The part that terrifies me -- and the reason I couldn't even come in HERE and ask because it is so scary -- is that when the ENT put me of antibiotics again (for a sinus infection a month ago) the antibiotics came draining down out of the gumline where that root canal is. I could taste the metallic flavor and with my tongue, I knew where it was seeping down from!

It would start about 2 hours after I took one of the pills.

Now, off the antibiotics I am having something like PUS draining out of that root canal tooth and pain all along that side of my face. It sort of makes me sick in a way that I cannot explain. I heard the guy at Tufts say something about maybe perforating the lining of my BRAIN????? Could that be? Or could they have perforated the lining of my sinus?

It has taken courage for me to come in here and ask and to face up to something that is making me absolutely terrified. I don't think I can afford to go to another endodontist. Please, can anyone help?
Message 45 of 230
latest reply