cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to tell fake Christian Dior Addict perfume ?:|

I have purchased Dior Addict edp a few times on ebay. I have noticed that the color of the perfume in the bottle has been a purple color and this time it is clear...??

Does anyone know what color it is supposed to be?

Thanks for any and all help.

~Betty
Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

cleopatrasboudoir
Enthusiast
Hi Betty and everyone else who is having a problem with presumed fake perfume:

The best way to tell is to take it to a store like Sephora, Ulta or higher end department stores that carry the same perfume to make a comparison in person. That way you can also test the actual fragrance against what is in your bottle. Most sales assistants wont give you an affidavit but when you tell your seller that you did the comparison, and it turns out that yours is probably a fake, they may be inclined to return the item.

Also be sure to check the seller's feedback before bidding on any perfume on ebay. But keep in mind that not all sellers are selling fake perfumes. Look to see if the seller regularly sells perfume or beauty items. Sometimes a seller may be just selling off one or two of their own, maybe they received as a gift and don't like. If you have any and all questions, it is still your responsibility to ask before you bid. Any doubts or if the seller has any doubts, then go with your gut instinct. And remember, if it looks too good to be true--then it probably is.

Good luck
Sincerely,

Grace from Cleopatra's Boudoir
Luxury Boutique.
Ask me about:perfume,compacts,cosmetics,ladies accessories,vintage purses,perfume bottle identification & appraisals,etc
Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Thanks for the reply.

I think I have my question answered and would like to share with other Dior Addict lovers.

The liquid perfume should be a purple color. You must hold it up to the light to see the color as the bottle is so dark.
I contacted Macys and was informed that their EDP Dior Addict is a shade of purple, not clear like water, like the one I bought on ebay recently was. The fragrance was not quite the same and it didnt last long. The seller is going to give me a full refund, returning it on Monday.

I now am asking sellers what color the perfume is when held up to the light. Hope this helps others to beware of fraud.
Message 3 of 20
latest reply

I have held my bottle up to the strongest light I could find and out in bright sunlight. There is no way to tell through a cobalt blue bottle that the liquid inside is a light purple. The color of the bottle is so dark that the liquid inside looks like the color of the bottle no matter what light you look at it through. Anyone who can look through a cobalt blue bottle and determine that the liquid inside is clear colored or light purple has amazing eyesight. I think the only way you could tell what the color of the perfume inside is would be to remove the top take some out, which as far as I know, can't be done on this type of spray bottle; or maybe I just don't know how to open it.
Message 4 of 20
latest reply

I also held my bottles up to a regular table lamp, the results are clear to me.
I dont think my eyesight is amazing, I do have to wear my glasses to read!
The small bottle of Dior Addict is a .67, looks purplish to me, the large bottle is 3.4 and is perfectly clear.
The purplish perfume is the one that last longer, smells better and I have always received compliments from it. The larger bottle that has the clear perfume, doesnt smell as strong or last very long.
I also have a .67 bottle that came boxed with a lotion that is also purplish, brand new, I have not opened it yet, I also have a mini that is new and purplish too.
This is rather confusing to me, just wanted to show you the color difference.
Hope this helps to show what I am talking about.

Thanks for any and all help! ~Betty

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

I have also asked the question to sellers on ebay that have the Dior Addict for auction/BIN and have been told by one the it is purplish, a few have said the bottle is too dark to tell and 2 have said it is clear.
I spoke to a gal at the Macys in the next town over from me, on the phone. Was told the bottle was too dark to tell but she sprayed it on a white tester paper and looked clear to her.
So, the question is, what is genuine, the clear or the purplish???
Below is the response I received from one seller.

Dear big_betty_boo,

It looks purple to me. Not a dark deep purple, but definately a purple like shade. It's not clear. It's hard to say because the bottle is so dark

- luxurycosmetic Did this answer your question? If not, let the seller know.
Message 6 of 20
latest reply

cleopatrasboudoir
Enthusiast
Just for clarification purposes:

The Clear Liquid is probably the Eau de Toilette concentration, which nearly all testers at the stores are. The eau de toilette is called Eau Fraiche, which came out in 2004. These bottles are a lighter purple color than the regular eau de parfum bottles.

Eau Fraiche's notes:

Top Notes
Mandarin, Mandarin Leaf, Vanilla, Bergamot.

Middle Notes
Gardenia, Bulgarian Rose, Tuberose, Jasmine.

Base Notes
Rosewood, Sandalwood.

The Purple Liquid is probably the Eau de Parfum concentration, which would make sense as to why it lasts longer. It came out in 2002. These bottles are the very dark purple bottles.

The eau de parfum notes are:

Mandarin leaf, silk tree flower, Queen of the Night flower, rose, jasmine, orange blossom, absolute of bourbon vanilla, sandalwood from Mysore and tonka bean.

Be sure to ask your seller to confirm whether the perfume is eau de toilette or eau de parfum BEFORE you bid.
Sincerely,

Grace from Cleopatra's Boudoir
Luxury Boutique.
Ask me about:perfume,compacts,cosmetics,ladies accessories,vintage purses,perfume bottle identification & appraisals,etc
Message 7 of 20
latest reply

I did look at your pictures, and I could definitely see a difference in color between the two bottles. The contents in the smaller bottle looked much darker. I have a 3.4 oz. bottle of Eau De Parfum, not EDT, and it looks the same as your larger bottle--the contents look clear or reflect the color of the bottle. I am positive that my bottle is authentic. Is the smaller bottle EDP or EDT? Your larger bottle looks authentic with the lettering on the bottle. I don't see any lettering on the smaller bottle but definitely see the difference in the color of the contents. The contents in the small bottle must be very dark to show that color through such a dark bottle. I really have no idea how to explain the color difference. Wish I did.
Message 8 of 20
latest reply

All of these are marked Eau De Parfum. The boxed set and the small bottle both have the dark purplish content. The tall bottle is a tester and is marked Eau De Parfum and it is the one that is clear.
Maybe it is just my imagination, but the darker content parfum seems to be stronger.
Does the tall bottle look like an authentic bottle? I am quite sure that the boxed set is authentic, it still has the security sensor on it from the store and a tag from Macys.

Thanks for all the help, this is very confusing to me.

~Betty

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Betty, I think your tall bottle is authentic. I doubt that a marked tester would be a fake. Why on earth would someone make a fake and mark it as a tester-not for sale! Don't think it would happen.
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Missesbigpants, makes perfect sense to me. Thank you so much for your input on this confusing situation!
I love this fragrance, just confusing on the difference in color on the EDP.
I also asked seller a question on this auction and they responded that it is clear also. 320437680287
Seems all Dior Addicts EDP would be the same color liquid fragrance in the bottle.
Things that make you go HMMMMMMMMMMM!
Thanks again, ~Betty
Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Just spray a little in a small clear container to check color.
Message 12 of 20
latest reply

All,

I have been wearing Christian Dior Addict for years.  I just purchased what I believe to be an imitation perfume.  How did I tell.

First, I obtained two of the sample boards from the Christian Dior Counter and then I sprayed from the known authentic and the ebay purchased one.

1.  The perfume should have no color, it is essentially white.  The perfume that I bought from ebay sprayed a purply pink color

2.  Thr fragrance smell was different

3.  The bottle has flaws in the glass

4. The labeling was different on the bottom and ill placed.

5.  It was apparent that it was not the quality product sold by DIOR.

On top of that the bottle construction was flimsly and the top of the bottle separated from the bottom.  This cast my suspicion in the first place. Dior no longer manufactures this bottle type.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

I would also like to add is with the two spray samples, wait and hour or two and then compare the smell, you will find that the smell of the fake has faded significantly and smells less like the authentic perfume.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

I know I'm fairly late to the party here, but I'll add my 50p in case someone, like me, is trawling the internet, researching provenance and/or authenticity of a Dior Addict fragrance.

I fell hard for Addict in 2004, purchased a 50ml bottle of the EDP, the juice was dark red/violet, and I could see it fairly easily when held up to the light.

I now own a 30ml bottle of the pure parfum from 2002 (fairly rare) and again, I can easily see the dark red juice through the not-entirely opaque navy-blue bottle. I also have a 20ml bottle of the EDP, 2012 formulation, and a 30ml bottle of the EDP, 2014 formulation. Seems like overkill, but they're all different enough, and gorgeous enough, to own all three versions. I actually favour the 2012 version overall.

Which brings us to...

The bottle in question, I believe the tallest bottle, a tester with the accords printed on the back? Although the bottle is still the design from 2002, with no metal band around it, the accords listed are the exact notes of the "2012" reformulation. This would also explain the clear juice, as I have decanted both my 2012 & 2014 formulations, and yes, the juice totally clear, not even amber or golden like most fragrances, because both of the latest versions have almost entirely opaque bottles, so no colour needed. I'm sure that IFRA implemented a restriction on the red dyes, so it was omitted. The change in accords from 2002 to the so-called 2012 version was subtle, replacing the blackberry and jasmine with silk tree flower and mandarin orange; these changes mean you'll definitely smell the original in there, but it wouldn't be as dark, thick and sweet. 

Considering the original post was dated 2009, this is perplexing, and I'm thinking that either it was reformulated without alerting the public, possibly to use up packaging from the original? Who knows, but companies change scents all the time without fanfare or much change to the original; IFRA's restrictions keep their chemists and noses busy. Regardless of the reason, I think that it's as simple as an unannounced reformultion, and shops always get the testers before they even get stock. The seller likely didn't know the product they sold you was any different from the original, and it's still a literal headache to locate the formulation you prefer, as sites will have stock photos from any one of the versions, while selling the one that doesn't match, and the minute someone smells something different, the first thing that comes to mind is "FAKE!!" 

The most reliable way to check for authenticity is always the batch code, on every bottle of every perfume, and every box, dating back to at least the 70s. As you may have guessed, I've done my homework on Addict....just remember, the two newer versions of it have a CLEAR juice, and don't be afraid to ask the seller of a  fragrance for batch codes, details of date they obtained it, whatever you makes you feel secure in your purchase...you hold the reins, so C.Y.A.!

ps. the manner in which testers are obtained is usually a bit shady, so I never buy them. They state "not for individual sale" on them because they're given by companies, free of charge, to vendors. It's just not ethical, and promotes theft.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply