cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Biotin Suppliments: Can too much cause hair loss?

iwillsellthistoyou
Enthusiast
I started talking 3mg of biotin along with a muli-vitamin about a month ago. My hair is so fine which is one reason why I started taking the vitamin. I noticed that I have more hair fall out than usual. Am I taking too much biotin or is this common when you first take it?
Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: Biotin Suppliments: Can too much cause hair loss?

I appreciate that in the cases you mention, hair loss can be caused by other deficiencies or problems.
Yet, when there are no deficiencies or problems, and those who thought Vit. B/biotin were the culprits, stopped taking it and the problem stops, what would you say. Proceeding by elimination, I would be inclined to say that the culprit is Vit.B/biotin!
Message 16 of 35
latest reply

Hi,  I don't know a lot about it, but I know a little, from personal experience.  The thing that helped me with my hair loss, was the taking of a mineral supplement, which has a wide range of minerals in it, including a small amount of copper, which is good for hair growth ... you can also find these in colloidal form, which may be more easily absorbed.  Also, if you are using shampoo with Sodium Laureth Sulphate ... please reconsider and try switching to a natural shampoo, perhaps liquid castile soap with some coconut oil.  Also, coconut oil as well as some other natural oils, can nourish the scalp, so you may wish to do some research on that.  Good luck!

Message 17 of 35
latest reply

I have never heard about hair loss due to biotin and multi vitamins. But if you still have this problem, then visit your doctor for proper medication. You can also read more about ceratin solutions that can help hide hair loss.

Message 18 of 35
latest reply

hello,

i would no say it causes hair loss, but in some people biotin suplements seem to "modify" the normal hair cycle. i took these supplements for 2-3 months and noticed that new hair would grow faster but also fall. and also biotin seems to make my skin itchy. so i guess that biotin supplements are not for everyone. and by the way, it will not make hair thicker. i took it with the idea to make my hair thicker, but it does not work. it can change the cycle of hair though, making it grow and fall faster. i will not take any biotin supplement again.

@furniture-attic wrote:

I have also taken a Vit. B complex with biotin in it and I started to loose my hair, not drastically in bunches, but two or three at the time. Whenever I put my fingers through, even soon after brushing, there's hair falling out.

Reading what people are saying, I am stopping straight away the vit. B complex.

Amazingly, my cat loves Brewer's yeast and I give her occasionally a couple of tablets. Each time I do, she pulls packets of hair out and is scratching and scratching. Conclusion: KEEP AWAY FROM VIT. B if this happens to you. It must mean that if there's a hair loss, that we have enough and why take more?

Message 19 of 35
latest reply

I have had the same problem with my hair coming out after taking one 5000mg Biotin daily for about a month. My hair prior was healthy, not coming out. I started taking Biotin to enhance my healthy hair wanting more length. Now it's breaking off and coming out from the root. I'm afraid to take more, I think I'll stop.

Message 20 of 35
latest reply

What products are you using in your hair to make it break off and come out from the root? There's no way biotin is making your hair fall out. Please list the products you use. Castor oil and coconut oil used straight are bad for my hair.

Message 21 of 35
latest reply

After using biotin for a year, I realized it was making my eyelashes to get thinner and my eyes to become slightly dry. After I stopped the lashes slowly returned. I also found blurry vision as a side effect of those using biotin for a prolonged time.

Message 22 of 35
latest reply

Do you know the brand of hair skin and nails that was making peoples hair fall out? 

Message 23 of 35
latest reply

WHat about me I'm taking 10,000mg Natures Bound Maximun strentgh and I've noticed softer hair but man lots more falling out! Am I taking too much or what??

Message 24 of 35
latest reply

there is a possibility that your multivitamin had a form of b12 that messes with your actual b12 utilization. the correct type is methylcobalamin. That is my only guess. Maybe get your b12 tested. and take the test with a grain of salt because it could be a utilisization issue even if you appear to be sufficient. 

could also be thryoid. thyroid test? also supplement lugols iodine to support thyroid! dont put it in metal cups as it reacts with metals. I just read a book called "Iodine: why you need it and can't live without it". Very important!

I also am losing hair from tension. I get tension headaches, then my hair falls out a lot. Doctor recommended yoga and a "theracane" pressure point thing to release tension. Helps headaches so far.

L. Rueteri probiotics increase hair thickness. 

Message 25 of 35
latest reply

check out Chris Kresser's podcast for health tips. I don't agree with everything he says personally because I think he doesn't realize how toxic the world is and how animals bioaccumulate toxins in their fat. however, he is incredibly well read and knows how to read literature critically.
Message 26 of 35
latest reply

I would like to say,  that  THE BIOTIN VITAMIN, CAUSED MY HAIR TO THIN TREMENDOUSLY AND ALSO GAVE ME BALD SPOTS, I ALSO AFTER SEVERAL MONTHS HAD TO STOP TAKING THE VITAMIN AS WELL. IT IS THE BIOTIN. I WAS TOLD THAT IF YOU DO NOT DRINK ENOUGH WATER WITH THIS VITAMIN, IT CAN HAVE ADVERSE REACTION, WHICH INCLUDES DRAMATIC HAIR LOSS, YELLOW NAILS, AND HIVES ON THE SKIN. THESE REACTIONS HAPPENED TO ME.  I WISH PEOPLE WOULD TALK ABOUT THIS MORE, NOT EVERY VITAMIN IS FOR EVERYBODY.

Message 27 of 35
latest reply

i have been to keto diet,ate too much saturated fat and animal protein, i loss alot of hair, before these diet i have had thick hair, if you see any keto master take a look at their head most are thin hair or bald

Message 28 of 35
latest reply

How is your hair now? Has it regrown back to normal?

Message 29 of 35
latest reply

How is your hair now? did it grow back?

Message 30 of 35
latest reply