cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay money back guarantee but i still lost my money

I recently purchased a camera worth $600 because I was assured by ebay money back guarantee. I was false. The delivery status shows that the item was delivered but I was home ALL day waiting for the package. Status says it was left at the front door. I was standing there at the time the item was supposed to be delivered. I checked my security camera and FEDEX delivery man did not come to my house. I asked all of my nearby neighbors and they never got it by mistake. I contacted seller and ebay but they denied my claim as if I was a liar. I also contacted fedex but they said there is nothing they can do. What??? What if the seller put in the wrong address and the item was sent elsewhere? I guess I just lost the money that I saved for like 3 months ( yep, I am poor). I think that ebay should change their money back guarantee to money lost guarantee. I will never buy anything on ebay again. I suggest everyone to boycott ebay and shop on amazon because I bought hundreds of items without a problem.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

the same thing happened to me to i will  never buy again . something need to be done about ebay .

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

I know what I would do, but I can't say it.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

If it shows "delivered" by FedEx then your dispute is with FedEx.

You should read the guarantee. It does not guarantee if Fedex delivers and it is stolen. Nothing would guarantee this...

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 4 of 22
latest reply

I tried to dispute with fedex but fedex says that the seller has closed the case with fedex and it says an agreement was reached between fedex and the seller. 

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Just went through this and eBay has lost my trust too.  Made a purchase.  I have been on eBay for 18 years.  I don’t buy all the time, so maybe that’s why they don’t care.  We have a locked mailbox and the tracking shows USPS delivered.  Well, open mailbox with my key and not there.  Assumed it was delivered to a neighbor.  I check with them and nope- none of them have it.  Contact seller.  She refuses to help resolve because tracking shows delivered.  Ugh.  Contact eBay.  They close and won’t refund because tracking shows delivered.  This was clearly not a theft because no one else had access to that mailbox.  So, was clearly misdelivered by USPS.  No resolution.  If this can’t be resolved, eBay loses another customer.  This was not a big purchase (the refund would be literally less than $10!) but this is about the principle.  The guarantee is a farce and i can no longer trust them to protect my purchase or me.  Boo eBay.  You should do better.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

i bought a computer and i have the same story. tracking said they delivered but i was home

all day waiting. now nobody wants to be responsable. i lost my $ 569.00 it sucks

e-bay neeeds to do better. as for me i will never buy anything on e-bay 

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

all the seller needs to do is enter a valid tracking number, it does not need to be one that is actually for you or them, as long as it is valid. Ebay will show that it is delivered as the packed is for someone else and for something unrelated to your order. Ebay does nothing to verify that correct tracking information is put into their system but relies soley on that tracking to prove if a package was delivered. Even  if you get the information from fedex and/or usps showing that the tracking info was for another address and delivered to that address, ebay will not care as they do nothing to protect the buyer and relies soley on their faulty tracking system. 

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

@browngv,

"all the seller needs to do is enter a valid tracking number, it does not need to be one that is actually for you or them, as long as it is valid"

That is not exactly true.  The tracking number has to show delivery within your zipcode. If it shows delivery to a different city or state, it may take a bit of work, but you can get a refund.

"Ebay will show that it is delivered as the packed is for someone else and for something unrelated to your order".

If you receive an item that is not what you ordered, or was meant for someone else, there are steps you can take.  Mistakes can happen, so contacting the seller is the first step. Often if there is a mix up the seller will resolve it one way or another.  If they do not reply to your message, or reply not offering any solution. Then you open a dispute with ebay for Not As Described, NOT for Item Not Received (INR).  If an INR dispute is opened tracking will show you received something, so you will loose the dispute. 

Of the 8 people who replied to this topic so far 7 are new or inexperienced ebay users as was the OP.  Most of them probably did not check the sellers feedback profile before buying, and bought items that were priced well below trending prices.  No matter what a seller's feedback percentage is, their profile should always be looked at before buying. 

Things to look for are,

1) A very good or too good to be true price.

2) All feedback as a buyer or a seller are over a year old except for possibly 1 or two, and those will be for purchases.

3) Few or no feedback for selling before the item that was purchased.

Those 3 things are signs of a possible hi-jacked or hacked accounts. If the seller does appear to be a legitimate new seller, one should expect there to be issues with the sale.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

the item was delivered to your zip code, not to your address.. It still shows delivered.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

ebay back guarantee does not cover misdelivery and has never offered to

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 11 of 22
latest reply

As others have stated the issue you have is between you and FEDEX and not the seller you bought your item from. Hindsight is a pain but  in order to prevent this problem with USPS FEDEX UPS or anybody else you must instruct the company and request that the item be delivered to you or you are left a note to pick up the item.  If signature confirmation is required on an item over $250.00 the problem is solved but if the item is less than that then in the business world delivery confirmation serves as proof of delivery.  You are not the first to have this problem. 

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

@becklab1 wrote:

Just went through this and eBay has lost my trust too.  Made a purchase.  I have been on eBay for 18 years.  I don’t buy all the time, so maybe that’s why they don’t care.  We have a locked mailbox and the tracking shows USPS delivered.  Well, open mailbox with my key and not there.  Assumed it was delivered to a neighbor.  I check with them and nope- none of them have it.  Contact seller.  She refuses to help resolve because tracking shows delivered.  Ugh.  Contact eBay.  They close and won’t refund because tracking shows delivered.  This was clearly not a theft because no one else had access to that mailbox.  So, was clearly misdelivered by USPS.  No resolution.  If this can’t be resolved, eBay loses another customer.  This was not a big purchase (the refund would be literally less than $10!) but this is about the principle.  The guarantee is a farce and i can no longer trust them to protect my purchase or me.  Boo eBay.  You should do better.

You should contact your local Post Office. They have GPS capability on the scanners used during delivery.  They can look up that information to determine where it was delivered.

In most areas they also have photos of packages enroute. They can determine if the item was addressed to you, and the size of the package if fraud is suspected.

Escalate within the Postal Service until you are satisfied with the results.  Don't stop with the vounter clerk that just says "we show it delivered, so go away. We are too busy to deal with your petty problem".

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

One question is does the package shipped to you fit in your mailbox with the key??? Also the possibility does exst that it was placed in mailbox slot if you live in an apartment building.  I had a new mail carrier one time deliver a package to the wrong address but with the help of my buyer and USPS we figured out where it went and got the package back. 

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

@hopha_12 wrote:

I tried to dispute with fedex but fedex says that the seller has closed the case with fedex and it says an agreement was reached between fedex and the seller. 

Did they tell you what kind of agreement was reached with the seller? If your security camera is accurate, it sounds like your package was misdelivered instead of stolen. Usually they would tell you where exactly the package was delivered or if not, they would make an attempt to retrieve it and let you know what is going on.

It sounds like maybe your seller knows what happened and filed a claim which they won, and they intend to keep any money from the agreement along with your payment because they know the tracking number says delivered.

If none of that is the case, it seems odd that Fed Ex would not help you.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply