Getting Started
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bookmark Share Post

Item not as described dispute

Last Edited 05:27:56 PM

Hello eBay community! I am a new eBay seller and I have only sold 3 listings so far. However, this morning I received a message from eBay saying one of my buyer's wanted to return items, and was asking for a full refund, and for me to pay for shipping back since "item was not as described"...

The buyer's note said that "she thought" she could use the "Baby Bottles Favors" she purchased as centerpieces..! I clearly list the size of the bottles as 3 1/2 inches tall (that approx the size of the "middle finger"), I also state these are FAVORS, I don't even mention the word "centerpiece" anywhere in my listing. Buyer clearly didn't read description, or changed her mind. Items were delivered on Sept 15th (about 1 week ago)

Items were as described, and I don't understand how she can claim "Not as described" when that is clearly not the case. I have sent her a message letting her know the same thing I'm posting here...size is listed and items are as described.

What to expect from here? What can I do? Is there a phone number to call eBay and let them know I am not at fault?

BLU-GoldSet.jpg

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Superstar
The only way to fight this is to call customer service and have them look at the case notes and the description. And beg the to close the case in your favor. If you win, the buyer can still file with PayPal but they will have to pay return shipping. If I was you, I would call customer service early tomorrow and try to fight thiS. If they won't close the case in your favor, just accept the return otherwise the buyer will ask ebay to step in and if they see that you refused to pay for return shipping they will probably make you refund the buyer and let her keep the item.
**Formerly known as MissJen316**

Re: Item not as described dispute

in reply to Sep 25, 2016 3:11:14 PM
@missjen316 Thank you! You are by far the only one with an acceptable advice and not the old "suck it up and move on". However, there is no need to "beg". I already called eBay's customer service and explained to them what was going on, they reviewed the case and closed it in my favor since buyer admitted in her note that items (baby favors) were indeed as described, she just couldn't use them as centerpieces.

If customer wants to file with PayPal that is ok, like I said before I don't mind if they want to return items. I just don't see why I have to pay for return shipping when it was the customer who changed her mind.

Thank you anyhow for trying to help in a polite/nice way, what a difference from the "advice" I got before!. Have a great day! Smiley Happy
0 Helpful

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Rockstar

Sellers need to reply with a return option when a buyer files the item not as described report.

Your options are to refund in full without requiring the return, or paying for the return shipping label

and refunding upon receiving the returned items.

You may be able to appeal the case.    You will lose the case up front, so require the return first.

If you don't require the return, the buyer will get their refund as well as keep the items.

An appeal will get the buyer on eBay's radar to see if they file too many claims.    It won't get you

your money back.

This is my posting user ID. I have different IDs for selling and bidding.

** Responders are eBay members without access to your account details **

in reply to Sep 23, 2016 6:20:40 PM
I understand that. But that applies only when item is actually NOT as described. My items WERE as described, buyer just changed her mind.
0 Helpful
Rockstar

in reply to Sep 23, 2016 6:51:45 PM
It applies anytime a buyer files the 'item not as described report.'

EVERY seller will say the item is as described.
eBay won't get involved in the he-said, she-said complaints.

Accept the return, refund upon return and remove "No Refunds" from your auctions.
johnsattic
Rockstar

in reply to Sep 23, 2016 7:03:34 PM
Best way to avoid this sort of thing in the future is get rid of that "no returns" nonsense and offer at least a 14 day return privilege, then at least honest sellers who need to make a return will not have to file a case and force you to pay return shipping when the problem is other than item not as described.

in reply to Sep 23, 2016 7:05:07 PM
I'm ok with accepting the return, that is not the problem. However, I am NOT ok with paying for return shipping on something that was as described. I can ask buyer for pictures and prove that item was as described. I just don't see why I should pay for return shipping because buyer changed her mind!
0 Helpful
Rockstar

in reply to Sep 23, 2016 7:08:47 PM
Are you understanding ANYTHING that you are reading? SELLERS ALWAYS SAY the item is as described.
Pay the return postage to get the items back OR the buyers gets to keep the items AND get a full refund.
You are digging your heels in on the wrong subject. You have zero chance of not paying return shipping costs.

in reply to Sep 23, 2016 7:40:19 PM
maggie_kai, no need to be rude. If you don't want to help then don't. I am not paying return shipping just because buyer "THOUGHT" she was getting something else and decided to ignore or not read the description of what she was getting. I doubt ebay "punishes" sellers for that.

Pictures from the buyers can easily prove ITEM WAS AS DESCRIBED. It seems to me that you are the one that isn't reading before commenting.

BUYER admitted item was as described, just NOT what she thought..! So please stop commenting if you are not reading thoroughly.
0 Helpful
*help_no_brakes*
Rockstar

in reply to Sep 23, 2016 9:44:35 PM
OP, you have been given sound & 100% correct (not rude) advice.
By your own admission you are a new seller & should you choose not to follow that advice then so be it.
However it is always prudent to accept a return early in your selling activity if you don't want to lose the item.............eBay will NOT look at any photos as they mean nothing.
I have found that by accepting ALL returns it leads to satisfied & repeat customers & yes I pay shipping even for remorse returns.
0 Helpful

in reply to Sep 24, 2016 8:54:42 AM
Last Edited 09:07:43 AM

@help_no_brakes Yes, I am a new eBay seller but I have been selling on other platforms for well over 15 years. eBay has rules and policies that apply to both seller and buyer. Seller doesn't have to bend over backwards for someone filing a false report. Where is the support to the sellers? and no, the customer is not always right. This only encourages buyers to keep doing the same thing to other sellers: buy stuff, file a false "not as described" report, get items for free, and then..... repeat. If all of you don't want to see that, then so be it. I have a right to stand my ground when I know for a fact I did everything by the book.

However, I no longer need advice from this forum.

Thanks to everyone that took the time to read, and comment. Calling customer service proved most (all) of you wrong. Turns out eBay does back up sellers when items are as described and buyer just happened to "change her/his mind" and file a false claim/report. Case has been closed, funds have been released, I am extremely happy with the outcome of the case. Have a great day!

0 Helpful
Superstar

in reply to Sep 25, 2016 10:57:50 AM
There is no seller protection or support on SNADs. eBay cannot inspect the item themselves so they don't investigate to see who is telling the truth. If they are asked to step in and resolve the dispute, the buyer wins 95% of the time and the buyer gets a full refund and sometimes if the seller refused to accept the return, the buyer gets to keep the item. It appears that you headed down that path but on the bright side, at least you won't have to pay for return shipping Smiley Happy
0 Helpful

in reply to Sep 25, 2016 3:25:24 PM
Last Edited 03:26:09 PM

@missjen316 Nope, eBay cannot inspect items themselves but I repeat: buyer admitted in her note that items WERE AS DESCRIBED she just couldn't use them for what she "thought" she could. Therefore, I am covered, buyer keeps the items, I keep the money from the sale, if she wants to take it up to PayPal then go right ahead, I don't mind the return of the items I am just not paying for return shipping since I am not at fault.

You all have to have a little bit more "faith" in yourselves and what you stand for, and also on eBay following their own policies that apply to both: seller and buyer. I didn't head down that "path" or any other "path"... as you can see. And "sarcasm" doesn't bother me... comments/words speak for themselves and about the person who wrote them Smiley Happy

0 Helpful
What other posters have already stated; but it's very important to accept the return from the buyer. If you file an appeal against the buyer, without giving the buyer a refund, you will probably wind up with a defect against your account, and it doesn't take too many defects to put your account into BIG trouble with eBay. Even though you may believe that you are in the right, eBay sides with the buyers 99.999% of the time -- so your best move is to grit your teeth, accept the return, and refund the buyer. And hopefully you'll receive your item back unharmed. Good luck!