cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a little help, Spinach Jade or Glass, How can I tell

Hi, I saw this type of necklace a couple of years ago on Ebay and it sold for quite allot. I am no expert on jade and do not know if this necklace is genuine jade although it looks the same.  This necklace has the same exact connectors which I believe are gold wash over silver. It is a vintage necklace. the circular links look as if they are individually carved, no two are alike. I have been sitting on this piece for a long time because I do not want to represent the necklace as jade if  it is not. Nor do I want to receive it back or be scammed. I reserve what I sell on Ebay, and although I could list much better items, I shy away from jewelry that has value. So, I am toying with the idea to go forward with this one, but first it would be nice to hear from you with some advice and I thank you in advance. What do you think of the photographs below. Need others, let me know. Best Regards

june80.jpg

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

That would be Nephrite Jade (formal name for Spinach Jade). Any high value in this item would be more from the metal than the stone. Not to say Nephrite is cheap, it isn't, but it is not as valuable as other jades (e.g., jadeite). The metal does not look like solid gold, looks to be plated. Nice piece, and more than likely a vintage piece. I couldn't even begin to fathom how much it's worth, you might consider having it appraised.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

“Let’s work the problem, people. Let's not make things worse by guessing.” -Gene Kranz, Mission Control Director (played by Ed Harris), Apollo 13
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Thank you. You have been very helpful. I believe the metal is silver with gold wash. It might be that because each link is  hand carved into an open circle  makes it more desirable. The one I saw a couple of years ago on Ebay sold for a great deal of money.  It is the very same style necklace.

I also have a couple of interesting Alexanderite stones.  One loose stone and one is a ring which I am going to ask advice on here.  They are vintage. if you know about Alexanderite, please check my post with pictures in two days. I am taking photos now.  Labs in the city wanted me  to leave the stones for a couple of weeks with them for testing.  I am a sceptic and rather not leave the stones so I have done nothing with them for many  many years.  I do not know how to test on my own.

I am looking to move forward now with certain items I have but want to be careful what I do, want to make sure the best venue to sell, and ask a fair value for them.

Thanks again for your help.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply