cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Gemstone covered Box ?

Need some help with this Gemstone covered Tissue Box ?

Labradorite or Chrysocolla or Turquoise ?

Does have a shiny surface was thinking maybe Labradorite.  Thanks

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Definitely not turquoise or labradorite or chrysocolla. Are you sure it's a gemstone? What is the weight? Could be a veneer -- I'm stumped.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

“Let’s work the problem, people. Let's not make things worse by guessing.” -Gene Kranz, Mission Control Director (played by Ed Harris), Apollo 13
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

It weights approx. 2 lbs. Thin segments arranged in triangle shaped patterns. Has a polished look. You sure it is not chrysocolla.
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

There are thin segments arranged in triangle shape patterns.  The box weights approx 2 lbs.

Also has a polished look.  Very cold to the touch and doesn't warm up fast.

I am thinking chrysocolla.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

This a section of chrysocolla table top. Notice that there is no crazing (all the little cracks) on the surface as there is on yours. All the tiles are 1/16 inch.

index.png

With all that I see in the photos I would lean more to a ceramic or thermoplastic. The crazing is a dead give away.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I had just come back to read this thread and as I was reading, the new post came up.

I was going to reply that I really do not think that this is gemstone at all -- because of that crazing that the other responder mentioned. The only gemstone that I know that crazes like that is Fire Agate, and no way this is Fire Agate (I was surfing for info on crazing when the other post came in).

This is not the sort of item that would be created with gemstones because the cost and weight would be prohibitive for mass production (would be way heavier than 2#). I really feel this is a veneer put over a thermoplastic material.

It's very pretty, though! You could refer to it with something like faux gemstone veneer or finish for a beautiful natural look.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

“Let’s work the problem, people. Let's not make things worse by guessing.” -Gene Kranz, Mission Control Director (played by Ed Harris), Apollo 13
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

seancarpenter: Thanks for the thermoplastic term -- was trying to think of a term to use, was thinking a thick plastic resin. Beautiful table, gorgeous craftsmanship!

I had a friend up on the NV/OR border that did a table with material from that region (lots of petrified and opalized woods, agates, mineral ores, some dino bone, etc). It was more a "crafty" table than a piece of art, but I always loved it.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Everyone is saying crazing like in ceramics and pottery glazes.  I am very

familiar with crazing.  This is not crazing.  I guess its more like a mozaic

of small pieces arranged in a triangle.  Its to cold to be thermoplastic.  The thin

segments are approx. 1/16" of a inch thick.  The coloring goes through the

segment and changes color looking down the side from the side with

a flashlight.  The cracks go all the way through you can see them from the side.

Looks almost like it was shattered somehow before the segments were put down.

The top square hole was carved in the box it is not to shapely.

Thanks for all your input !!!!

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Here is a link to a tissue box plaec that gas the look !  They

say it jade.  It also has the textured segment look.

Here is the link !

http://www.zincdoor.com/p/Pigeon-and-Poodle-Palm-Beach-Jade-Tissue-Box-Cover__PPD173.aspx

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

They also say it is made of Emerald Shell Pieces !
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

The first photo is a crop from your photos; As you van see the seams do not line up well and there is a lot of white showing.

eig.jpg

Now this second cropped photo is from the pigeon & poodle tissue box. Notice the tight seams and all over color.

thumb.aspx.png

And Emeral shell is a dyed manmade stone resin.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

A very interesting problem you have there. The China market has many materials that are used that don't necessarily have to be stone. Ceramic and plastic of differing grades and hardness. I would say let the price of the item be a better indicator of what it may be. It's a tissue holder basic asking price around $10-20 for the most fabulous  variety. If it were made out of something really good it would be much more expensive.

TINKERSILVER
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Labradorite would have iridescence (aka, "labradorescence") that shifts as you turn it under the light. If no iridescence, it may be lapis (look for small bits of silvery or gold pyrite), sodalite, or a chrysocolla+azurite+other copper mineral mix, or dyed shell as mentioned. I have seen similar mosaic slabs in sodalite and other materials for use on walls and tabletops. Attractive box!

My currently listed gem rocks
Message 13 of 13
latest reply