cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

would I look ridiculous?

OK, a stupid question for you folks. I know absolutley nothing about fashion. If it is clean and fits< I wear it. I am a plus sized old< elderly whatever soon to be &) years old and shock of all shocks< my neurologist says I am fine> (Please pardon the strange things my keyboard is doing, I have to get another today)  i am going to get another today.)

So, 3x ish plus size and I have always wanted a poodle skirt like my sister"s of about fifty eight years> But I really don't want to be the butt of a lot of jokes and end up on the people of walmart page>

I am wheelchair bound so I have to get skirts a bit longer just to be covered well.

So what do? i really want the darn thing> So what do you think?

“Nothing that grieves us can be called little: by the eternal laws of proportion a child's loss of a doll and a king's loss of a crown are events of the same size”

Mark Twain
Message 1 of 38
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

would I look ridiculous?

I say... people are probably going to laugh... but so what?!? if you want it and it makes you happy, go for it!!!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

would I look ridiculous?

I say... people are probably going to laugh... but so what?!? if you want it and it makes you happy, go for it!!!
Message 2 of 38
latest reply

would I look ridiculous?

yay, and thank you! Yes> some will be total hosers and do the snicker and pointing thing but I have wanted this skirt sooooo long> It might look ridiculos but fooey< i will give them the old teacher glare and just roll along. (the old teacher glare still works and I am still working voluntarily helping some local kids with their math and algebra homework> it can be exhausting because right now I have 21 kids/adults to get through their homework.

I think that having them explore how to make an eBay store is a good lesson for them if they don't get super irritated and toss their computers out of the window.  I honestly do not know how you sellers can do all this and then so many times you guys get scammed by unscrupulous buyers.

“Nothing that grieves us can be called little: by the eternal laws of proportion a child's loss of a doll and a king's loss of a crown are events of the same size”

Mark Twain
Message 3 of 38
latest reply

would I look ridiculous?

I'm not so different from you, except that my disability doesn't require wheels.  Here's what I believe:  each person needs to find their own way to be happy.  If a poodle skirt makes you happy, then having one will make you laugh and smile and be fun to be around.  The people who love you and the people who want to get to know you will appreciate you for that happiness.  And they will be looking at your joyful face rather than your cute skirt anyway.

Buy the skirt!  Life is short.  It's up to us individually to make it sweet.

Message 4 of 38
latest reply

would I look ridiculous?

Assuming this post is on the up and up I don't understand why someone who clearly states that they don't want to draw attention to themselves and is seriously plus sized in a wheelchair would want to draw attention to themselves by wearing a "stare at me" skirt that rarely comes in long enough lengths to give seated coverage. That could result in far more attention than I think you're thinking of.

I understand wanting one but why not get one for social gatherings with your own friends and family as opposed to public shopping where you can't avoid calling attention to yourself.  Personally I don't care if people stare at me (I'm a senior who still dresses in pretty over the top fashion) but you state that you don't want that. You could also consider layering a poodle skirt over a very thin long (possibly lace) underskirt/slip to give you more comfortable coverage. Just about every poodle skirt that I've ever seen is trimmed in black or white which would work great layered over a longer slip/thin skirt. JMHO

Message 5 of 38
latest reply

would I look ridiculous?

I say do what makes YOU feel good and forget about everyone else!

Life is too dang short to not wear what YOU want.

I wear glitter in the day.

I wear a ton of make-up or NO make-up a all.

I wear young people's over embellished designer jeans.

I dye my hair purple.

I wear whatever suits me for the day, if I wanna jog in a dress, I'm going to do it!

I make MY OWN style.. 

Just for the record, I have the opposite issue, I'm often called too skinny- well forget-a-bout that!

Sing like no one is listening. 

Dance like nobody's watching (yes even in your wheelchair) and live like it's heaven on earth.

Just Do YOU!!! 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 6 of 38
latest reply

would I look ridiculous?

Once I was out of high school and college and learned that mature people accept others for who they are and what's inside them, I learned that I do what I want to do.

And if others don't like my clothes, my shoes, my hairdo, my taste or anything about what I choose to wear, that's their problem. I no longer dress to fit the "norm" unless that norm is my own taste. As much as I admire high heeled shoes on other women, I've never been able to wear them and in fact if I did, I'd probably break a leg!

I want to be comfortable and pick what I think is attractive for ME.

And if you OP want to wear a poodle skirt, I say GO FOR IT!
albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 38
latest reply

would I look ridiculous?

Of course you can wear a poodle skirt if it pleasures you.  Just make sure that it's of good quality material, the color suits you and it fits.  The most important thing is to avoid that "Halloween-comes-early" look by accessorizing with other 50s pieces.   (Not that you would.)  No pony tail, no neck scarf, no saddle shoes and bobby socks.  If everything else is contemporary and flattering to you and the skirt, good to go.  Sorry... Make that "roll."

Debora

Message 8 of 38
latest reply

would I look ridiculous?

I will tell you about two people I love dearly who wear what what they want in spite of the whispers and sometimes outright rude remarks they encounter. 

First, there is my 16 year old son who has autism. His favorite color is pink. He likes pink everything. When his school gives out bandannas for spirit day, he chooses bright pink and proudly wears it on his head. He insisted on a pair of Nike sneakers with a bright pink swoosh, and I bought them for him. He has more pink shirts and socks than I can count. He doesn't care. He likes pink and he wears pink. 

I have a niece who was burned over 30% of her body when a stove she was cooking on exploded. Her face , both hands and entire thighs down to her knees are ravished with deep, dark, thick raised scarring. It's been two years since the accident.  This Saturday, my entire family attended a wedding  where she wore a beautiful, short pastel blue dress. She looked stunning. It takes her about 40 minutes to cover the scarring on her face.  It would take hours for her to cover the burns on her hands and especially her thighs and she chooses not to.  

There were people who found the dress inappropriate for her. You could see and feel the stares. We heard the whispers. Some relatives told us what people were saying.  'Why would she wear that short dress."  "Wouldn't pants be better or at least a longer dress."  Unfortunately, it was older people. My generation. 

But she doesn't care. She wears what she wants and ignores the stares and whispers and usually has a snappy comeback for the truly ignorant remarks some people have said to her directly.

Wear what you want, when and where you want to. 

I know it's easy for me to say, and my heart aches for my son and niece when I witness cruelty, but that is my problem, my flaw. 

Message 9 of 38
latest reply

would I look ridiculous?

Wow, that was a long post and I apologize.
Message 10 of 38
latest reply

would I look ridiculous?

@eagles04 wrote:
Wow, that was a long post and I apologize.

@eagles04

It was also a GOOD post and you need not.. heart 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 11 of 38
latest reply

would I look ridiculous?

Hey, have a ball!   Sounds like you're a fun person who wants to let it show.  I love it.

Beth

Message 12 of 38
latest reply

would I look ridiculous?

@eagles04 -

That was a beautiful post and brought me to tears. Thank you.
albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 13 of 38
latest reply

would I look ridiculous?

Well, I will say this, I am getting "older" and I do try to dress for my age.  I have lost some weight and find that some things that did not fit in the last few years now fit.  Most of what "I" feel are okay for my age.  I happen to love vintage clothing and have a few circle skirts that I can wear.  One is a heavy frosted white vinyl and labeled "size 12."  BUT, the waistband is elastic so it fits!!  It will not be sold until I'm gone - and the other's I made myself based on the elastic waistband.  I don't know what size you are, but there is a seller here that has nice reproductions.  Let me find the link for you.

I wear what I like and really do not care what others have to say.  I will not wear what I call the Kim K look, but I try to keep it classy and as long as it is not tight, I wear it.  Not bragging, but when I was actively working, I always received compliments on my appearance, especially the fact that my lipstick stays on all day 🙂 

I say, wear what you like, who cares what others think.  You only come this way once, so I say enjoy what time you have, wear what you like and to heck what for what others think.  Your life, your style, ENJOY IT!!

Message 14 of 38
latest reply

would I look ridiculous?

@eagles04 what @pikabo-icu said 🙂

Message 15 of 38
latest reply