cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Women's clothing in "Asian sizing"

I'm curious if anyone here has found a solid formula to apply to the purchase of clothing here from companies based in China based on what appears to be "Asian sizing" that allows for a conversion to US sizes that are accurate. From what I understand, Asian sizing reflects an Asian body type that has a very narrow and slim build resembling a ruler, with no bust, no hips and very narrow shoulders. It seems that if the merchant even includes a size chart (the times that a chart is included it seems more often than not at the bottom of the page and easy to miss), the size charts are not consistent with other Asian companies and the conversions more often than not do not ever mention hip measurement, something pretty critical to US women's sizing and fit, and the bust appears so small that unless you're especially small busted or very young (secondary or hs), the conversions from Asian to UK to US won't really make sense unless it reflects Juniors' sizes. I ordinarily take a size 4 or 6. This usually is a S in the US, but in some brands it can be an XS or M.  The size charts for the US companies are always very clear that I haven't run into any issues. Unfortunately, I don't know what how to interpret the "Asian size charts," reflecting products manufactured in and shipped from China most likely fit for an Asian body type. I read somewhere that if you order 2-4 sizes up that you may luck out and it may fit. To the contrary, the basic conversion chart information from the average Asian seller would suggest that you only need to order one size up, e.g. if it's an Asian S it's a US XS, BUT if you look more closely to the measurements in inches you will see a bust or should size that's very narrow, not reflective of standard US size charts unless an XS or smaller. The absence of a hip measurement further adds to the confusion. There are also sellers who do not include inches or US sizing only using the metric system or cm even if the product is being sold to the US consumer. This honestly should be prohibited. If these Asian sellers selling product from China or selling through a US seller are selling to Americans and US buyers accustomed to US sizing which is in inches and includes bust, waist, hips, and length (and sometimes, also includes shoulders and upper and lower hips), this is what the Asian sellers selling to US buyers should be obligated to include as a matter of professionalism and transparency. Anytime I've seen a chart that only lists cm, I get a migraine and am concerned that if the calculator or human error makes an mistake in the conversion, then what? And, then of course, there's the matter of inconsistency in which use of a numbered or lettered size such as 4 or S may not mean what you think even if you did add one size up and this is supposedly due to the lack of hip measurement included in these size charts (unlike size charts for US Women's clothing), and then there's the especially narrow/flat bust which suggests that if you have any kind of bust you may need to automatically order an XL. The question then is how will the rest of the garment fit if you actually have proportionate waist and hips or a slim hourglass (or any other type of ) figure?

Based on the above, I instinctively selected s size XL in the type of dress I ordinarily select S or 4-6 if it was a US brand. This item is being sold in the US but mentions no brand and was categorized with the Asian garments so I deduced that it must be Asian manufacture and sizing, BUT when I had contacted the seller with a note at checkout to wait on shipping the item until a proper size could be confirmed, I didn't hear back with any clear information for me to be able to confirm which size to take or if I should update the XL. I was just told to look at the size chart (that I happened to not even notice at the page at the time I had placed my order). The size chart was confusing like many of them were either because it required conversion of cm or what the chart has converted to imply ordering one size up  only seems to work if you have no bust or an extremely narrow or flat chest and have no hips and no hip measurement in the chart will make no difference to your selection of a size. 

Here's the further irony! I recently purchased some lingerie based upon Asian sizing and decided to follow the implication to order only one size up. I ordered a sz M instead of a sz S, the size I'd ordinarily order for the band to fit my small waist and then just hope for the best that it will accommodate my bust. The M actually fit although the waistband of the panty must sit across the widest part of my hips in order to fit and I had to fully tighten the the shoulder straps to make the top as small as possible. BVasically the top was a little too big and adjusting the shoulder straps allowed it to fit although the fit was a little off but passable. What I'm suggesting is that this specific purchase reflected that natural US sizing may have been a better fit than ordering a size up. Having learned this first hand had my head spinning when attempting to order a dress from another seller of garments that appeared to be reflective of Asian sizing although a seller based in the US. Do I accept the XL in the dress and hope that it fits more like M or do I ask that the order is updated to a size M or L or hope that this truly reflects a US 4 or 6, or do I wait for the purchase and then take it up with eBay if the manufacture is totally skewed?

If you want to know why I'm so tempted to purchase anyway and am adamant about figuring out HOW to convert these sizes or what size to take based on a specific seller and to ask WHY we don't see any reviews of these garments to get a sense of proper sizing based on the feedback of other American buyers reflective of American body types and standard size they'd take versus what they needed to take in the garment appearing to reflect Asian sizing, is because the items are aesthetically pleasing, stylish, and very affordable, or downright cheap.

If you haven't noticed, I did not mention ordering the largest size possible in the hopes the garment will fit and then taking it to a seamstress or tailor because chances are the associated costs and time will be such that any incentive to purchase based on reasonable pricing will no longer exist.

Anyways, the bottom line is have any of you been successful in ordering Women's garments which reflect skewed size charts that basically imply that the clothing most likely reflects "Asian sizing" which doesn't take into the account the bust and hips of an American body type even when slim

or which doesn't provide clear conversions on the page? When size charts are included on the pages of such sellers, have they charts been accurate? If the suggestion is to order one size up based upon the converted size, for example, Asian XXS = XS UK = S US, was this irrelevant IF the bust size reflected did not reflect a woman's US size S, M, etc.. and instead reflects an Asian bust for those sizes?

Your feedback is appreciated.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

IMO, with respect, you haven't gotten answers for two reasons:

1. Few could probably deal with reading your post-I definitely struggled. We're here to help as much as we can but you have to simplify questions and make it as easy as possible for people volunteering their time to help.

2. Most of us (I almost said "all of us" but I've learned to try and avoid absolutes as invaribly someone disagrees) would tell all to avoid buying most things from sellers shipping from China as the boards are full of problems from those that did so and items that have to fit will almost always be problematic for both fit and quality. If you insist on going through with a purchase please carefully read the seller's feedback first.

IMO China is no different than anywhere else as far as size variance per manufacturer goes and in the US and in Western Europe there are production sizing specs in place yet there's still a ton of variance that drives many of us up the wall. I can be a 39.5-41 in footwear and a M to XL in clothing depending on the label and I pretty much only wear designer which in theory, has stronger sizing specs in place than volume made pieces.

The above is strictly my opinion. Wait and see what others post.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Just wanted to clarify that when I said there was no more sizing variance in China over other countries I meant that between each factory in China there will be sizing differences but overall the sizing is much smaller than Western sizing.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@jsales0 - I agree with the first reason - I too struggled to read it, however, I stopped in the middle of the first paragraph 😞 

Insofar as Asian sizing, I just ordered a dress and I ordered the largest size for that dress.  The price was good and it was free shipping, however, I would rather have it larger than smaller and have to return it or resell it.  I would like some wiggle room when wearing it, which is why I decided to up the size.  Example, my bust is 42 in the bust, but I ordered the size that had 46 in the bust to allow for wiggle room in the bust and waist.  The hips area was full (hopefully LOL), but I think if not a support garment would help.  Length I do not worry too much because I am short and kind of like some things a bit longer, but no maxi's for me 🙂  I would trip and fall like I do with my bathrobe 🙂  My mother always said that tight clothes just don't look good, so I will get the next size up, just to be on the safe side.

Hope this helps.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Asian patterning is cut on a different scale to western patterning, and you're right, OP, in that it's cut to a more  junior shape than adult western women. Here's the thing, though - Italian patterns tend to also be narrow and small, German patterns are cut more generously, etc.  Each pattern style reflects the general population (within bounds) of the country where it's made. You can't get away from that.

I'm sorry, your post was so long and dense that I only got the very general gist, but your question of Asian sizing - This is the crux:  If you have an western hourglass shape, it's a pretty good bet that Asian patterning will not fit. If you have a junior build, it will...unless you're also broad shouldered.  I'm not remotely small (I wear a size 10 or a large) and fit Asian clothing fine because I'm just like a really big junior.  I order XXXL and there I am because I don't have curves, really.

I can't wear misses pants - I'm stuck wearing young men's cargo pants because junior pants now have stupid short rises (before they were fine).  It all has to do with the pattern.  If a pattern doesn't fit, it won't fit. That's kind of the way it is. I wouldn't bother ordering Asian stuff, even if it is cheap, if it simply isn't cut to your shape. Even traditional Asian styles, which are well tailored, are cut for their own national population, as it should be.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

If eBay allow's Asian marketing, then in my opinion, eBay needs to have stricter rules for converting their sizing charts to US. It is a shame how hard it is to order. Finally, eBay should have metric conversion to US, UK, EU charts established on the eBay site. Just my humble opinion.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

The best way to convert the sizes would be to take the measurements of a garment you have with a universal sizing (say an XL dress that seems to run true-to-size), and compare the measurements to the Asian garment.  

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@hockey782509 - they already do - charts are in a majority of listings and it would help if you know your approx measurements.  Even though I have a small frame, I am "overweight" for my frame, so if I do purchase an item, I get the next size up.  

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

What would REALLY be helpful is the ability to search using a specific size range. Like an XL in Asian sizing is a size 8 in USA where as an XL in USA sizing is around a size 18. Having to sort through items of clothing that would clearly never fit you if you are an 18 and not a size 8 (which is small USA size) is REALLY annoying.  I'm about ready to quit ordering online and go back to the stores. Getting tired of seeing something I like only to find out it would have only fit me in the 7th grade.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Greetings.  

I understood every sentence.  I read a few of the other responses, including the ones who told you that you wrote too much.  I tend to write lots of details, usually thinking it will help the customer service person or the vendor himself or herself understand whatever the dilemma is.  

My recent attempt to communicate with a vendor did not result in a useful response, except to teach me that the vendor was not able to answer my simple, straightforward, well-organized questions about size conversion.  The only part of my note that wasn't simple was the part where I explained that I had been looking at the conversion chart and other online sites about figuring American size from Asian ones.  

At any rate, the answer was, basically, telling me to just look at the eBay posting and the website.  At least "Sorry" was included in the non-answer.  I will not bother writing to that vendor again.

I could pay twice the price and order the dress I want in two sizes, then go to the alterations lady for help, and give away the one that is too small or too later.

The Asian shoulder measurement appearing on the chart for the dress I want was especially confusing.  

Yes - I agree that vendors should post accurate conversion charts. The charts should include waist and hip measurements, as well.

Thanks for your post!

Message 10 of 10
latest reply